Notices

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, it is.

The volume keys are simply F7 and F8 keys. However, the hildon desktop captures the key events before they reach your application, so you have to set a Xatom property on the window that wants to receive these keys:
Code:
# we need to notify Maemo5 that we want to use the volume keys
self.__window.window.property_change("_HILDON_ZOOM_KEY_ATOM",
    "XA_INTEGER", 32,
    gtk.gdk.PROP_MODE_REPLACE,
    [1])
That is, call property_change on the GdkWindow (window) member of a GtkWindow or HildonWindow.
thank you! i'm kind of interested in where you found this information. i searched everywhere (or so i thought) it really threw me that nothing came through to my on_key_press method.

thanks again
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
I just installed mediabox in my N900. It's behaving strangely and I can't tell if it's a bug or user error. I searched talk.maemo.org and the bugzilla and didn't find an answer.

In the album view, mediabox shows several instances of the same album. For example, there are 16 instances of "Best of Bootie 2005", a compilation album. Each has one song in it. I expected one instance with 16 songs.

In the pictures view, a lot of my photos aren't shown. mediabox found DCIM, where the camera puts its pictures, and it found three of the eight photo directories in /Pictures but in each case it's missing a lot of pictures. Some appear without a thumbnail. mediabox won't show me those pictures.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by talmage View Post
In the album view, mediabox shows several instances of the same album. For example, there are 16 instances of "Best of Bootie 2005", a compilation album. Each has one song in it. I expected one instance with 16 songs.
This is a known bug with compilation albums where there are several artists.

Originally Posted by talmage View Post
In the pictures view, a lot of my photos aren't shown. mediabox found DCIM, where the camera puts its pictures, and it found three of the eight photo directories in /Pictures but in each case it's missing a lot of pictures. Some appear without a thumbnail. mediabox won't show me those pictures.
Can you give more details on this?

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
No, not yet. Any volunteers?
There is an old and still opened feature request at garage about D-Bus API for MediaBox, which stops me from writing a widget

The Following User Says Thank You to 412b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
Can you give more details on this?
Thank you for asking.

The summary: MediaBox doesn't find all of my pictures and it doesn't display correctly all those it does find.

The pictures are in MyDocs/Pictures:
MyDocs/Pictures/20090107-Matney&MatneyBirthday
MyDocs/Pictures/20091219-Snowpocalypse
MyDocs/Pictures/20091220-Snowpocalypse
MyDocs/Pictures/20100116-Matney&MatneyBirthday
MyDocs/Pictures/BostonXmas2009
MyDocs/Pictures/Katie's Camera
MyDocs/Pictures/Katie's Memorial Slide Show
MyDocs/Pictures/Panos
MyDocs/Pictures/Vacation2009
MyDocs/Pictures/Vacation2009/05-Greg_Melissa
MyDocs/Pictures/Vacation2009/05-Phyllis

There are cover art pictures in MyDocs/Music/*/ also.

MediaBox shows me the directories with cover art. Each has a single file and MediaBox displays those pictures without fail.

MediaBox shows me only three of the Pictures subdirectories: 05-Greg_Melissa, 20090107-Matney&MatneyBirthday, and 20091219-Snowpocalypse. There should be 300 pictures in 05-Greg_Melissa. MediaBox shows me 19. There should be 31 pictures in 20090107-Matney&MatneyBirthday. MediaBox shows 2 and neither of them have any useful content. In fact, MediaBox shows the previously displayed picture when I select one of them. E.g. If I previously looked at the cover art for BB King's "Completely Well" CD, MediaBox shows me that picture again if I choose one of the pictures in 20090107-Matney&MatneyBirthday.

All told, I have about 1800 pictures, including album cover art. MediaBox finds about 200 of them.

Hey pycage, any idea of when will the newer version with fixed volume be released? I can hardly wait
________
GAY LATINO

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:20.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
@nax3000:

yesterday evening my update manager showed up MediaBox in version 2010.01.30.
unfortunately still no others media renderers supported (can barely await it ^^), but the volume-bug is partially solved - at least the volume level stays unchanged when next song in playlist is played. on the other hand: if you touch the MediaBox's volume-slider, main volume goes way down again (if it was way up ^^).

N(9)00bie

Last edited by N(9)00bie; 2010-01-31 at 18:10.

Hmm that's weird.. I don't get an update prompt when I searched just now. Is it in extras-devel? because I have that disabled (I do have extras-testing enabled though)

EDIT - yup it's in devel

EDIT 2 - It seems like the volume issue is completely resolved for me

EDIT 3 - The bad news is - I did a check with the top command in xterm to see the CPU usage. default media player user an average of 14% while mediabox is about 25

I hope to see mediabox optimized further. Right now I'll be using this as my default player anyhow
________
Cheap softair swiss arms airsoft holster

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by 412b View Post
There is an old and still opened feature request at garage about D-Bus API for MediaBox, which stops me from writing a widget
Fine, I'll do the D-Bus API and you'll do the widget.
What functionality do you need to be exposed via D-Bus?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
So after spending a day outside with mediabox here are my suggestions:

It takes about a second to go from one song to the next. It's.. kind of a lot. Would be nice if something was done about that.
Is it possible to make the volume rocker act as a next/previous track rocker when the screen is locked?
Also, adding a "next track" in the now playing screen would be great.
________
E Engine

Tags
fmradio, mediabox, upnp, youtube