Posts: 17 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Cupertino, CA
Originally Posted by ShayneOSU View Post
Mozilla Developer:
Yep, we know! We’re working hard to get to a set of real phones. The N810 is a great platform for development and testing but we understand that the real win is on a real mobile platform.
Well... I think you have to put that in context. "Mobile" usually means cell phones -- there's a billion-and-change of them in use, and nearly all of them have a crappy web browser (if any). The N810 is an awesome device, but if you want to improve the mobile experience and open web, you can't ignore where the users are. And there are a whole bunch of them stuck on Windows Mobile devices with IE.

So, in that sense, bringing a better browser to that market will be the bigger win for the broader problem. It's more a statement about the current marketplace, and isn't really about the Internet Tablet. But if the N8x0 can help by eating away at Windows Mobile, so much the better!

[I should also point out that Blizzard is a long-time Linux guy, working in key roles at Red Hat and OLPC, so this is no Windows fanboy talking. :-)]

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There's a better future with GTKWebKit, anyway.
I wouldn't be so sure. Mozilla is kicking ***, it's faster and lighter than ever (even when compared to WebKit), and there's more in the pipeline coming.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dolske For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Dolske View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Mozilla is kicking ***, it's faster and lighter than ever (even when compared to WebKit), and there's more in the pipeline coming.
Whatever progress has been made, it still doesn't change the fact that Firefox has a much heavier and less agile codebase.

Either way, though, competition is a good thing and can only benefit the consumer.

Originally Posted by Dolske View Post
I wasn't aware that the fastness and lightness could be better than ever compared with one thing, and not when compared with another.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I wasn't aware that the fastness and lightness could be better than ever compared with one thing, and not when compared with another.
It's got better lightfastness! So, the Mozilla browser will degrade less over time in direct sunlight!

Dyslexia can make reading forums so much more entertaining.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Cupertino, CA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Whatever progress has been made, it still doesn't change the fact that Firefox has a much heavier and less agile codebase.
Well... I can't really agree with that either. There's a boatload of new things in Firefox 3, and there have been heavy improvements to existing things (notably: switching the graphics backend to Cario, overhauling text rendering, and refactoring how page layout works.) And a vibrant extension community.

Sure, it's not perfect. No large project is. But there have been big improvements the in Firefox 3 (Mozilla 1.9) platform, and we've got yet more coming up for Mozilla 2.

Either way, though, competition is a good thing and can only benefit the consumer.
Absolutely! Especially when the competition is more worthy than a crusty old monopoly. :-)

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Heh, I guess that wasn't phrased well. My point was just that Firefox 3 doesn't only look good compared to it's predecessor, but also compared to other modern alternatives.

Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
It's got better lightfastness! So, the Mozilla browser will degrade less over time in direct sunlight!
LOL! Actually, it does have support for color management now... :-)

For me, fennec is slower and less stable than Microb. In fact, I rarely exit fennec, it just quits or crashes. In addition where are the scroll bars? Scrolling is a pain, moreso than in microb, in fennec and minefield. Minefield has scroll bars, but it is weird and hard to use. When it is working, fennec does seem more compatible with some websites. Example: digg.com. Microb has a difficult time reading comments and instead opens up the comments on a new page. Fennec, if it doesn't crash before it gets there, will open up the comments on the same page.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
"Mobile Firefox Is Six Times Faster Than Nokia's Browser on the N810!"

"Oh, yeah!? Well my brother is ten times faster than Mobile Firefox!"

(Sorry, I just always have that 'thought' go through my head when I come across that topic title in New Posts. )

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Which system update are people that this release is working well for using? I was using the original OS2008 install and both the browsers (fennec and minefield or whatever they're called) were completely unstable for me, unable to even load a single page reliably. I just put on the 51-3 update though, was wondering if that might make it more reliable or if there's some other setup that people are using that makes it work. I really like one of them...I think Fennec...where it could have the entire GUI go away when browsing. But again, could not load anything reliably.

Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
Which system update are people that this release is working well for using? I was using the original OS2008 install and both the browsers (fennec and minefield or whatever they're called) were completely unstable for me, unable to even load a single page reliably. I just put on the 51-3 update though, was wondering if that might make it more reliable or if there's some other setup that people are using that makes it work. I really like one of them...I think Fennec...where it could have the entire GUI go away when browsing. But again, could not load anything reliably.
Yea, I got the same results as you. I don't know about all the people who say it is more stable than MicroB.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
They are using Minefield by mistake Fennec is not stable.