Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
What a shock from this people, http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6430582.story! I guess Nokia N8x0 does NOT count, which I have made video chat from China to USA many years ago!

bun

quoting the article: "the first U.S. phone"

The N8x0 wasn't really a phone, and wasn't really targeted at the U.S. either.

what about n900? it is a usa phone and it does video chat?

Well first we need to make a distinction.

"Video Chat" uses the internet and you have to have an account with a service like Qik or Google Voice.

"Video Call" is just dial a phone number and get video. (at least that is how I have always used the terms).

The news article was talking about video calling.

Lots of phones can do video chat and some phones can do one-way video calling but I don't know of any wireless phones in the U.S. that can do two-way video calling just by dialing the person's phone number.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Moved to General since the subject is topical.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
While I agree with Flynx summation of "video chat" versus "video call", the article seems to steer clear of the video chat technology of Google Talk, Gizmo Project and Skype - which I tend to associate with laptops, desktops, netbooks, MIDs and internet tablets - and seems to center around (but misusing the term "video chat") video calling between phones... which - if I'm reading it correctly would be great if all parties had the right software and hardware... and network.

But honestly... I thought video chats via cellphones wasn't anything new. Regardless... video Skype is my "must-have" option.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Video phone calls have been fairly standard on UMTS phones for the past years. I remember trying video calls on my nokia N80 (not N800) around 2006.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
We have been using the video calls in Saudi Arabia since 2006. I don't know why the US is late in this field!!

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I feel that Nokia phoneshave had in-built front-facing cameras since forever and I'm still waiting to receive or make my first video call.

When's this thing gonna take off?

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
I feel that Nokia phoneshave had in-built front-facing cameras since forever and I'm still waiting to receive or make my first video call.

When's this thing gonna take off?
When they stop charging so high for some voice and moving pictures.

Anyway I sent this e-mail to the author of the article. I think it was courteous and to the point:

The first mobile phone to do video calling? How do they allow you to write articles about mobile phones..when you clearly don't understand a thing. Nokia phones have been able to video call for years now. Whether it is 3G video calling or video calling through Skype using Wi-Fi.

And example of first 3G video calling is Nokia N70 or Nokia N810 and Wi-Fi video calling using N95 thanks to Fring, and the N900, thanks to Nokia.
Ah my mistake..N810 should have been included with wi-fi. Ah who cares..he won't know the difference.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post: