Notices

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ London
Hello

I want to install custom emmc from here EMMC_By.MiDO.FaYad.8.giga

I just want to know if I install it then will it delete my installed applications, messages, bookmarks etc?
Do I to have to backup my data?

Do I need BackupMenu V2 - OS backup & restore to backup or I have to use Nokia OVI Suite.

Thanks

Last edited by t4ure4n; 2011-06-10 at 13:24.

Yes it will remove all your files on your n900.

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Well, what do you think? Whenever you are reflashing the device what happens?

I read here that

Note that flashing eMMC will delete the /opt directory, so you *always* need to reflash your rootfs (the COMBINED image) after - or same time as - flashing eMMC (VANILLA img)

So Is EMMC_By.MiDO.FaYad.8.giga a combined image? or I need to download rootfs image from some where aswell?

It means I have to backup every thing but for apps I have to re-install them after re-flash.

What method do suggest for backing up
1. Messages
2. Contacts
3. bookmarks

For same games like AngryBirds and AngryBirds Rio I want to save the highscores.
Can I just copy the
Code:
/var/opt/rovio/angrybirds/highscores.lua
for AngryBirds
and
Code:
/home/opt/preenv/usr/plam/applications/highscores.lua
for AngryBirds Rio

Do I just copy paste when I have re-flashed the emmC.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I recommend using the stock backup program for application settings, contacts, calendar etc, and BackupMenu for the rootfs/optfs. You will need to copy the backups off the device before you proceed.

Once you've done that you can repartition the EMMC without wiping everything. You reboot the n900 with BackupMenu (by leaving the keyboard open) ang go into USB Mass Storage mode, and then plug it into your PC. You need a partitioning software to do the rest. I used GParted on Ubuntu. Here's a link for using a LiveCD.

Edit: the image you are using is a combined MyDocs/Optfs partition. So yes, you would need to get hold of a firmware image this page has all the info you need.

Last edited by mrsellout; 2011-06-10 at 14:24.

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I recommend using the stock backup program for application settings, contacts, calendar etc, and BackupMenu for the rootfs/optfs. You will need to copy the backups off the device before you proceed.

Once you've done that you can repartition the EMMC without wiping everything. You reboot the n900 with BackupMenu (by leaving the keyboard open) ang go into USB Mass Storage mode, and then plug it into your PC. You need a partitioning software to do the rest. I used GParted on Ubuntu. Here's a link for using a LiveCD.

Edit: the image you are using is a combined MyDocs/Optfs partition. So yes, you would need to get hold of a firmware image this page has all the info you need.
Sorry for asking a question which may sound dumb
With this method I don't need to flash emmc image? As I can repartition via this gparted

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by t4ure4n View Post
Sorry for asking a question which may sound dumb
With this method I don't need to flash emmc image? As I can repartition via this gparted
yes, but do the backup anyway in case it messes up (it shouldn't).