Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gsalone View Post
So I am the only one who needs to pay 146 Euros to Customs, otherwise no Jolla C... Greek Customs suck!
Nope, I'm currently trying to avoid 30 EUR VAT, as TNT Bulgaria insists that I've payed not VAT but instead "some tax", since Jolla didn't mark the tax as VAT on their page and in the PayPal transaction. Not that the tax can be anything else when it is marked as "Bulgaria (20%)"...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Athens, GR
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Nope, I'm currently trying to avoid 30 EUR VAT, as TNT Bulgaria insists that I've payed not VAT but instead "some tax", since Jolla didn't mark the tax as VAT on their page and in the PayPal transaction. Not that the tax can be anything else when it is marked as "Bulgaria (20%)"...
Seriously, if it was 30 euros, I would pay on the spot. But 146 is way too much..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsalone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It just highlights what some of us have been saying since day one. The decision to include Android support at all in the first place was short-sighted, only bound to cause unspeakable problems in the long run.
I disagree. I put Jolla on the hands of my brother and also on the hands of my better half. Which was a big risk that I dared to only live with couple of weeks, since her style of solving technical problems is to slam the device somewhere hard and curse it aloud

Both of them strugled creatly with Sailfish. Not because of using it or too difficult learning curve, but because of lack of apps. Neither of them are app crazy, they only use 2 to 5 apps regularly and no gaming. My brother is somewhat average with computer skills and my GF is below, I think. Both of them are quite bright minds. I thought this to be nice test for Sailfish and it was. Both really liked the UX and design of the os. Especially my brother.

But basically everyday they would call me how to do that, or how to manage this.

"I used to have an app on my phone that would show all the restaurants in my location with one click" or "I used to have app that shows local movie theathers and their shows" or "How can I use this phone in the gym with my excersice"

I gave up and installed google play for them. Basically all the problems went away. My brother only abonded Jolla because of poor camera. And I took the phone away from my girl since all her phones are destined to break from outside impacts and didn't want that to happen my Jolla.

I think that they are what great majority of phone users are. Dont know whether they are 70, 80 or 90 percent of people, but they are the great majority anyways. They are not bound to specifig brand, os or identity/privacy concerns.

"Google can automatically upload all my contacts and pictures. When I change phones I get them all automatically to my new phone, no matter the make. How cool is that?!?!?"

And that is the road to which we are going. Despite that the minority who care about these kind of things is getting louder and louder, the customer feedback data is clear. Customer wants the company to know him/her.They don't mind giving their information to a company that will in exchange supply them with "infinite" amount of life easing applications.

And to conlude this already too long allure, adding Android support was thus probably the smartest thing that Jolla has done so far IMO. If they ever are going to make money with their business it is probably the only way they are able to raise enough customers. Truth is that the money of the masses is not laying with likes of this forum for example. And sincerely not wanting to offend anyone with that! Money that companies need are with the likes of my little brother who sees cool phone that his friend has, asks whether it has this and that app, and then tomorrow goes to buy it whether it costs 200€ or 800€.

Ohh, and that phone he changed Jolla into. So cool! Has like thirteenbillion megapixels and can change profile based on whether it is connected to his home WiFi I smiled a bit when he told me this and had huge grin inside

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by gsalone View Post
So I am the only one who needs to pay 146 Euros to Customs, otherwise no Jolla C... Greek Customs suck!
In Brazil, Customs costs a lot : 60% of the value of the product + shipping cost. So I am prepared to pay more than EUR100 to Customs here in Brazil.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
I disagree. I put Jolla on the hands of my brother and also on the hands of my better half. Which was a big risk that I dared to only live with couple of weeks, since her style of solving technical problems is to slam the device somewhere hard and curse it aloud

Both of them strugled creatly with Sailfish. Not because of using it or too difficult learning curve, but because of lack of apps. Neither of them are app crazy, they only use 2 to 5 apps regularly and no gaming. My brother is somewhat average with computer skills and my GF is below, I think. Both of them are quite bright minds. I thought this to be nice test for Sailfish and it was. Both really liked the UX and design of the os. Especially my brother.

But basically everyday they would call me how to do that, or how to manage this.

"I used to have an app on my phone that would show all the restaurants in my location with one click" or "I used to have app that shows local movie theathers and their shows" or "How can I use this phone in the gym with my excersice"

I gave up and installed google play for them. Basically all the problems went away. My brother only abonded Jolla because of poor camera. And I took the phone away from my girl since all her phones are destined to break from outside impacts and didn't want that to happen my Jolla.

I think that they are what great majority of phone users are. Dont know whether they are 70, 80 or 90 percent of people, but they are the great majority anyways. They are not bound to specifig brand, os or identity/privacy concerns.

"Google can automatically upload all my contacts and pictures. When I change phones I get them all automatically to my new phone, no matter the make. How cool is that?!?!?"

And that is the road to which we are going. Despite that the minority who care about these kind of things is getting louder and louder, the customer feedback data is clear. Customer wants the company to know him/her.They don't mind giving their information to a company that will in exchange supply them with "infinite" amount of life easing applications.

And to conlude this already too long allure, adding Android support was thus probably the smartest thing that Jolla has done so far IMO. If they ever are going to make money with their business it is probably the only way they are able to raise enough customers. Truth is that the money of the masses is not laying with likes of this forum for example. And sincerely not wanting to offend anyone with that! Money that companies need are with the likes of my little brother who sees cool phone that his friend has, asks whether it has this and that app, and then tomorrow goes to buy it whether it costs 200€ or 800€.

Ohh, and that phone he changed Jolla into. So cool! Has like thirteenbillion megapixels and can change profile based on whether it is connected to his home WiFi I smiled a bit when he told me this and had huge grin inside

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
to be honest, i jumped on the shipped mainly for having best of both worlds. Preference for Linux, as open and cosy as possible.
Datakraken under control because you can stop alien dalvik.
And still be able to live through the day where customers throw theyr inhouse built security through obscurity building navigation and entrance control android app at me and say:
Please be at AH016 around 5am...
On n900 i experimented with nitdroid without much success and am literally only "still here" because i saw when you all got delivered your "first one" Jollas and realized it had alien dalvik and thus would have a chance to survive on the market.

I think after the massive "Burning Plattform" braindrain this community saw, it could be even possible to slowly grow again by incorporating half arsed guys like me that grow into the maemonean mindset over time.

Look how many new indian AquaFish users hit TJC and TMO.
Would not have happend without Jolla having nicely running Dalvik to convince intex imho.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Look how many new indian AquaFish users hit TJC and TMO.
Would not have happend without Jolla having nicely running Dalvik to convince intex imho.
I disagree. They are there because of sailfish.
Otherwise, they would stay on Android.

Personally, I would prefer the money spend on the Alien Dalvik license crap to have had better HW on J1.

Never used it, never will, I use android device for that. And even that I would ditch had J1 met my prefs better.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
"I used to have an app on my phone that would show all the restaurants in my location with one click"
I think your post was very perceptive and agree with your conclusions, but just wanted to point out that Poor Maps can do this via Foursquare...apart from the one click thing

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I think your post was very perceptive and agree with your conclusions, but just wanted to point out that Poor Maps can do this via Foursquare...apart from the one click thing
Yes and there are others probably as well. Just tried to mimic what non techy person said about sailfish year ago. I didn't even tell them about warehouse in the beginning since they understood only the "one app store" principle

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Personally, I would prefer the money spend on the Alien Dalvik license crap to have had better HW on J1.
You know as well as anyone it doesn't work like that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os