Posts: 42 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leeds, United Kingdom
A friend of mine has been expressing an interest in the n900 and its capabilites. I believe it ticks all the boxes, especially compared to the iphone, with one exception. He is a bit of an audiphile and would like to output Digital audio from the device.

Does anyone know if the n900 can currently do this or would a driver need to be developed (something like dacmagic) to allow the digital signal over usb? or prehaps maybe someone is already doing this???

From my understanding you can do this with the iphone, so its a case of, can you do it with the n900????

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
no, this won't be possible any time soon.

the main issue is the USB port, it's intended for charging and (client) data only, no host mode or USB On-The-Go.
but usb-audio interfaces will only work on an USB port that provides host mode.

see here for further info.

Is it still so? There is H-E-N now and I have get USB mouse and USB keyboard and USB memorystick work with it.

I am intresting in if normal audio device that is compliant with USB audio device class v1.1 v2.0 will work with two channels.

I know link below is 7.1 but there read with OS 9.1 only two channels and I think they haven't write any drivers:
http://usb.brando.com/usb-7-1-channe...3c042d015.html

Any comments are welcome.

Practically, even if you have digital audio over USB on N900 you still need to power your phone! I don't believe anyone's presented a solution for dealing with signal as well as powering the phone, since I don't believe USB DACs are concerned with providing USB power along with USB data.

Would love to be proven wrong though!

Originally Posted by wumpwoast View Post
Practically, even if you have digital audio over USB on N900 you still need to power your phone! I don't believe anyone's presented a solution for dealing with signal as well as powering the phone, since I don't believe USB DACs are concerned with providing USB power along with USB data.

Would love to be proven wrong though!
The N900 has a battery. So you don't have to provide power over the Ethernet cable.

The friction involved in charging the battery and unplugging the USB Audio interface when more power is needed, makes USB+Digital Audio a non-starter for me. Once I've got the N900 in-line doing audio tasks, I don't want to think about charging the unit or interrupting my audio work!

For me that feeling extends to many other potential uses of N900 USB (DVB, mounting an external disk). In fact, if typical USB accessories had better ways to supply power to upstream mobile devices, we might start seeing mobile devices become more involved in studio work. Sadly for now it's a very niche thing.

EDIT: Super happy to be proven wrong

Last edited by wumpwoast; 2013-10-10 at 02:20.

wumpbwoast, AIUI, you can just use 'USB host with charging' and connect your N900 to a hub or Y-cable+wallcharger.

The Following User Says Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...203#post921203

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
no, this won't be possible any time soon.

the main issue is the USB port, it's intended for charging and (client) data only, no host mode or USB On-The-Go.
but usb-audio interfaces will only work on an USB port that provides host mode.

see here for further info.
Dang, your bookmarks are collecting a bit of dust, don't they? ;-)

A quick search in forum returned this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...hostmode+audio

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-09 at 23:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Dang, your bookmarks are collecting a bit of dust, don't they? ;-)
That post has collected dust.