Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
In line with recent discussion about Brainstorms and Stskeep's proposal for maemo.org project management (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41092), I'd like to propose we consider the role of Champion here.

Some Champions are easy to identify, such as xfade now taking on the role of maemo.org team lead, or on a more direct level Andre Klapper performing as bugmaster. Actually any role with "master" in it is a Champion of some sort. Maybe "super moderator" too.

But there are a lot of voluntary needs too. I propose we create a wiki page for Champions and their roles for easy identification. The way I see it, any member here can jump into a void and declare themselves Champion of that activity. I'm staking a claim around Community Outreach for instance. We need one (or more) for Brainstorm too. On that note perhaps there could be multiple champions since I wouldn't want this to be exclusive... and they would have to voluntarily partition the work.

Anyway if this is seen to have merit I'll get the ball rolling...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Excellent idea Texrat, I highly support this initiative.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
This is definitely the way to get things done, as long as people will step up for the roles.

I'm still looking for Game Forum Champions to document and catalog and promote Maemo gaming, if anybody has the inclination.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I see myself as a sort 'shepherd of the n900bs'. I spent a large chunk of the weekend redirecting people to the thread about the repos being down, as well as hand-holding someone through their first OTA update and helping someone find the flasher while the repos were off. I probably need to reflash my perfectly healthy n900 before too long just so I can hand-hold others to do it.

Being only one step up from complete novice myself (hey! I stepped up!) I still speak the language of the n900b, but have long-time forum skills which mean I can find my way round a bulletin board system like a rat in a sewer. You want a thread - I probably know where it is.

Not sure whether you have a vacancy for such a post, let alone whether it needs formalising (probably not) but it's mostly what I think I'm here for.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Actually Kathy I see a lot of value in "Noob Champions"!

We definitely need testing champions, based on the current hot topic around that...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
We have them, i just think we ought to make it official and take advantage of the fact.

I appoint myself Champion of Testing Champions. :P

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:

Tags
champion, champions, community, maemo.org, we are the champions