Posts: 159 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston, texas
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Sorry man, did you read the first post? Seriously I dont mean to shrug off the blame, but I said very clearly this may hose your system. It says testing.

Also you said "I got the bootmenu (like always)"

Was bootmenu already installed? Were you booted to flash when you installed it? What was on the SD card to begin with. It was supposed to wipe out the SD card, was that unclear to you?

Did it corrupt your flash install?
I read the first post. I understood the dangers, just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Had bootmenu installed previously, does not look like anything changed there. The flash install looks ok now that I've had time to really look at it. I think instead of reflashing, I'll just reformat my MMC2 and take it from there. No biggie, I was having issues with Claws mail's data folder not showing up on MMC2 anyway. eh...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by smog View Post
exactly, it will freeze on the internal boot but run fine on the sd.. LOL

may be it's related to the cold Canadian air or the wifi service in my igloo is not good enough

BTW the log is filled with errors related to "you're not connected to the web so forget about those packages you little geek"
HMMMM, I wonder if your flash still full 100%??

Boot to SD, open xterm, become root

mkdir /flash

mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /flash -o rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000

df
(look at the output for df, is /flash at 100% full? )

(if its full, delete some things, and boot back to flash)

rm /root/install-tools

rm -rf /flash/device/*

Also the deb was installed in flash, so opening the log when booted to SD wont get me the correct log
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston, texas
Ok, so I reformatted MMC2. I'm willing to give this another go around. Will try again in the next few minutes.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
(A) Just letting you know that it installed fine, first time. I don't know if it matters, but I did already have fanoush's boot menu. It left the boot menu the way it was, with the default and timing the way I had set it before, too. Great job. Thanks. It sure was painless and easy.

(B) Penguinbait, I was going to edit "my" thread on cloning (see my signature) to suggest people head here for your debs instead. But I see some people have had problems and you consider it to be still in a "testing" state. Let us know when you feel it is beyond testing stage and I'll start re-directing users.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
(A) Just letting you know that it installed fine, first time. I don't know if it matters, but I did already have fanoush's boot menu. It left the boot menu the way it was, with the default and timing the way I had set it before, too. Great job. Thanks. It sure was painless and easy.

(B) Penguinbait, I was going to edit "my" thread on cloning (see my signature) to suggest people head here for your debs instead. But I see some people have had problems and you consider it to be still in a "testing" state. Let us know when you feel it is beyond testing stage and I'll start re-directing users.
Thanks, I still think your post is uesfull, this may not work immediately on the next version of OS. Its nice to have options..

What Nokia device did you succeed on, and what size SD card?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Thanks, I still think your post is uesfull, this may not work immediately on the next version of OS. Its nice to have options..

What Nokia device did you succeed on, and what size SD card?
Thank you, too.

N800. SanDisk Extreme III 4GB.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by smog View Post
no charger this time, still no network connection :

reflashed (4th time),
installed deb
rebooted to SD : OK
rebooted to flash : OK

so now it's a sucessful cloning to SD.

can't be easier if done right.

but an option for a larger FAT partition would be nice (I got a 8gb card)

and can't get root now, is there a new password ?
I give you sudo ALL=ALL in SD partition, you have to install becomeroot or the like for the flash partition.

In the (boot from SD) just open xterm and type "sudo su -"

This should make you root

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Hi,
I'd really like to try this, because I never managed to partition my SD manually. Installing the deb just doesn't work for me either.

I installed the package and this is what the log stated. Is local.sh the problem file? IŽd appreciate some help.

hildon-application-manager 2.0.2
/usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/install-tools.deb'
/usr/bin/dpkg --install '/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/install-tools.deb'
(Reading database ... 21755 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking install-tools (from .../.documents/install-tools.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/install-tools.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/etc/init.d/local.sh', which is also in package local-mmc2
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/install-tools.deb
dpkg: error processing /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/install-tools.deb (--install):

Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Hi,
I'd really like to try this, because I never managed to partition my SD manually. Installing the deb just doesn't work for me either.

I installed the package and this is what the log stated. Is local.sh the problem file? IŽd appreciate some help.

hildon-application-manager 2.0.2
trying to overwrite `/etc/init.d/local.sh', which is also in package local-mmc2Errors were encountered while processing:
You would need to remove KDE before installing. However the install process once complete is very simple to install KDEv2 without the deb..

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Hey PB! Just curious... did you make any changes to KDE from the last version that I installed 358v2 for the booting from mmc users?

Tags
deprecated