Notices

Hey guys, I'm not sure if there's already a post about this, but I didn't find one that could help me with my problem.

I'm kind of a dweeb with technology, so my problem is understanding the instructions (and how to follow them) that have been given me to configure mobile maps on my nokia n900. For those who have the patience:

"Install
1. Install mobile-maps-10_8.1.6-armel.deb
2. Copy Maps (you can use any maps for Sygic 10) and .mlm file to N900/Maps/
3. Copy modifica.pl to N900
4. install rootsh if its not installeted on your n900
5. Run X-Terminal and write:

sudo gainroot
cd /home/user/MyDocs
perl modifica.pl"

First off, I've installed mobile maps from ovi store, I have no idea how to install it any other way (so when it says install mobile-maps-10...deb i don't know how to that, or what does it mean exactly)

2. "copy maps and .mlm file to N900/Maps/" - How to copy maps and watever.file to my doc N900/maps? Don't know how to do this eather

3. "Copy modifica.pl" - What the hell is modifica.pl, where is it, how do I copy it...

4. I've managed to install rootsh (yay, so smart...)

5. I know how to type those things, but do I type one of a time (and press enter) or is it really supposed to write all 3 at once, because if it is, i dont know how to put a paragraph

Sorry, if anyone could help me i'd be greatly aprecciated...

ya no i had some probs installing that but i bought off of their direct site. go download winscp cuz its tits, and u can swap files real easy with it sually ppl write those instructions as a lis of commands. so when u see that its gone to a new paragraph press enter wait then start the next line.

hope it helps

The Following User Says Thank You to Rapparee For This Useful Post:
Sorry, but I didn't quite understand your explanation.

"2. Copy Maps (you can use any maps for Sygic 10) and .mlm file to N900/Maps/"
This is the part i'm having trouble with. I don't know how to copy maps and .mlm file (and where is that even?)

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ United Kingdom
your trying to install the pirated version. its against the rules to help you with that. (i think).

btw you havent got the full download

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Two notes;

1. The maps need to be 10.0 maps not earlier 9.0 maps the mlm file has a different information format.

2. The modifica.pl script is a crack for a paid app ... and thus warez not sure we want to be the ones discussing how to use it or where to find it.
Google it.

Just my thoughts.

haha ok, but how come is it a pirated version if i've downloaded this on ovi store? i'll try to work this out for myself then. But can anyone just tell me how to copy files on my n900? where are the files...

Last edited by van_gogh; 2010-12-04 at 13:21.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by van_gogh View Post
haha ok, but how come is it a pirated version if i've downloaded this on ovi store? i'll try to work this out for myself then. But can anyone just tell me how to copy files on my n900? where are the files...
Where did you put the files on your N900? You should remember the location of your files else there is no way to access them.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
you cant post that info here mate
remove it or expect a ban before the day is out!

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
I think you guys are a bit confused by his post. I downloaded Sygic from Ovi for free the other day also. I think they are running some promo that allows you to use the app for free for 7 days, but I am also confused by this because the app doesn't give the map for your region. The main reason I downloaded the app was to see exactly how good their routing and voice commands were.

Does anyone have knowledge of where to get the maps for the demo?

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New Mexico, USA
Originally Posted by The Arsonist View Post
Does anyone have knowledge of where to get the maps for the demo?
If you're looking for maps of the US, you're SOL... I emailed Sygic support about a month ago, inquiring if there was an Ovi Store demo for US-based navigation, and was told no, due to the download size of the maps file and Ovi's limitations - although the respondent did say that if there was a technical problem with a paid-for version of Mobile Maps, they would refund the purchase. Not exactly sure what would qualify as such, but I'm sure "I didn't like it" wouldn't get my money back.

For non-US users, you have to download the Mobile Maps demo app AND the corresponding Map pack for your region. I'll keep waiting for the QT port of Ovi Maps, along with waiting for the Buffalo Bills to win the Super Bowl, and delivery of my cold-fusion battery pack for my N900...

The Following User Says Thank You to jvanhou For This Useful Post: