Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Could be either, but it would be quite a coincidence for both to fail at once. From your descriptions, it definitely sounds like a problem with the phone though.

Just don't take "no" for an answer. They know it's a problem and they've accepted that it's a warranty issue, but some of the support staff still try to insist that it's caused by user error.

If the port hasn't actually come out yet then they may just do a repair, in which case the data would probably be okay. Otherwise they'll be doing a swap of the main board or a swap for a new/reconditioned phone, either of which will mean all your data is gone.

'fraid not, but as you're in the UK then the N900 is definitely still within warranty (2 years in the EU), so there should be no need to involve any insurance.
Thanks for some fabulously useful answers! ... it's still connected so far as I know, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for keeping all my data! ... so far it's just majorly annoying charging issues that need to be sorted before I can no longer charge it at all! x

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
... are Nokia going to wipe all my data ... and do I need to do anything special other than back up to my computer to put everything back?
Just a quick suggestion on this point. Enable extras-devel and install BackupMenu. It backs up the whole system. It works very well. I just used it to transfer all my applications and settings to my second N900.

See here for the steps I took.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...385#post958385

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Just a quick suggestion on this point. Enable extras-devel and install BackupMenu. It backs up the whole system. It works very well. I just used it to transfer all my applications and settings to my second N900.

See here for the steps I took.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...385#post958385
Thanks! ... that sounds like it's worth a look! ... have bookmarked so I can have a proper go through when I have time! x

Arse!!! ... I am sooo pissed off with myself ... I was leaving sorting out my USB problems till next week, and hadn't yet got around to backing up the entire phone ... and without any warning (well, he port becoming lose, it's had charging problems for a couple of weeks!) it's just come competely away ... and of course at a point when my battery was practically dead so no chance of bluetoothing any important files to my PC or changing anything ...oh well, guess Nokia can't complain about fixing it now as it's defnitely broke and definitely a problem with the build quality ... and definitely something they have to fix ... will just have to start over making my phone all lovely when they return it with a new motherboard and usb port ... *sulks*

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Well, I finally called Nokia to see about repairing my USB problem. My device is no longer under warranty so it will cost about $70 to fix it. The guy from the repair center asked me if the port was still attached to the device. Fortunately, it is. He said, "good, otherwise we wouldn't be able to do anything about it". I thought you'd like to know that. Fortunately for me, I do have a Square Trade warranty for my device and they are going to reimburse me for the repair.
Interesting. I personally don't think $70 is that bad. If I ever get this problem (I worry about it) I'll contact Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
Arse!!! ... I am sooo pissed off with myself ... I was leaving sorting out my USB problems till next week, and hadn't yet got around to backing up the entire phone ... and without any warning (well, he port becoming lose, it's had charging problems for a couple of weeks!) it's just come competely away ... and of course at a point when my battery was practically dead so no chance of bluetoothing any important files to my PC or changing anything ...oh well, guess Nokia can't complain about fixing it now as it's defnitely broke and definitely a problem with the build quality ... and definitely something they have to fix ... will just have to start over making my phone all lovely when they return it with a new motherboard and usb port ... *sulks*
They will definitely wipe your data even if they can fix it, it is standard policy and what happened when I sent mine in (my port was only loose so they just repaired it). If you really want to save your data get yourself an external charger off ebay to charge the battery so you can do a backup, I would also suggest using a microsd card to backup to, bluetooth is really slow and wifi is still a lot slower than a copy to a microsd card is.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
My first N900 had a camera issue, it suddenly stopped working. So I have sent my phone to Nokia, and they replaced my phone with a new one. After few months, the replaced NOKIA N900 fails again! The mini usb-port is fallen apart. Hoping for a replacement, atleast for a repair, I called Nokia, asked is my phone still warranty, can I get it repaired or sth...? They answered me Yes, it is still under warranty just send us your phone, we will have a look... So I have sent them my phone last week's monday and I still didn't get a respond from them, no emails, mails or calls, nothing. Today, actually just now, I called them and I'm really surprised how Nokia really CARES! The answer was "Your phone is no more under warranty, we still waiting for proof of purchase ...." I never got a email or call telling me to send the invoice. I got it as a present I never had the invoice, so I ask " what if I can't send the proof of purchase?" they say they will send me back my unrepaired piece of s.... and somebody will call me today...
Enough with Nokia! I'm switching to Iphone, Samsung or some HTC

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
They will definitely wipe your data even if they can fix it, it is standard policy and what happened when I sent mine in (my port was only loose so they just repaired it). If you really want to save your data get yourself an external charger off ebay to charge the battery so you can do a backup, I would also suggest using a microsd card to backup to, bluetooth is really slow and wifi is still a lot slower than a copy to a microsd card is.
.. actually, that does definitely sound like something I should look into before sending it off to them ... guess given it's Thursday night it won't actually take that much longer to get a charger+microSD to save my data, so it won't be returned to me all that much later ... *hopefully* ... thanks! ... will have a look through ebay! x

... looks like it's only available shipped from hong kong ... guess I should prbably get one (and a spare battery!) anyway ... as I love this phone and if it happens again when it's out of warrenty then I'm going to need to work around the USB port ...

i have just had the same problem with my second N900. Bugger stopped charging. After a lot of scratching my head I finally decided to open up the phone. Really well made and well put together I have to say. I got to the USB port and could see it had come loose on one side from the board. Pushing it down made the connection again. So I decided to fold up some of my business card and stuff it between the microSD card bit and the USB port. This pushed the USB port down on to the motherboard and kept it there

I put the phone back together and of course with the card the port doesnt line up exactly with the hole but enough so that a cable can be plugged in. The keyboard on that side is ever so slightly raised, only a few mm.

I fired up the charger and was amazed to find it worked. The phone charges and connects to the PC like new. I backed it up and living happy ever since. Typed this whole reply on it.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty