Active Topics

Originally Posted by kollin View Post
From dmesg is evident that the OS supports btrfs
Right, but does it automount the card with btrfs? And: which userid/groupid is needed to get data on it from the phone's user view?

Last edited by cy8aer; 2013-12-02 at 23:47.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
Right, but does it automount the card with btrfs?
I'm planning this experiment when i get my jolla
But fs should not matter, except if it is some closed source type like zfs or exfat.
Barnabas Collins

Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
Right, but does it automount the card with btrfs?
Better (of course) would be it can find a LUKS layer (open it on startup after pin entry) and find the btrfs partition in it and automount

Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
could somebody try to install an android 'offline' gps app? there are plenty free trial versions, like from sygic. i'd beinterested to see how these work (or don't).
Nobody yet?

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
WUT? Sailfish does not come with a native file manager?
I have neverever heard of such a thing before! Is that even possible? Unspeakable! how....
Nokia N9 has no file manager pre-installed...
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

How good is BTRFS for a flash memory (sd card)? Any filesystem with excessive writing and journaling is going to be more taxing for flash which has a limited lifetime and amount of writings until it burns out. It of course might not matter at all, if that sdcard isn't used heavily.

Originally Posted by kollin View Post
I'm planning this experiment when i get my jolla
But fs should not matter, except if it is some closed source type like zfs or exfat.
ZFS is open, except the Oracle's additions. See http://www.open-zfs.org/wiki/Main_Page

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-03 at 04:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
But also many (lazy) Android-developers do not just care if their app go to Stopped-state. They just assume a user would always run their app in the foreground and then quit it when a user is done with it. It then gets frustrating if a user goes back to the app and expects it to be in the same state where (s)he left it.
Because the Android one is a stupid paradigm. Linux already contains a layer that is designed for handling bazillions of processes that are doing nothing, and it will transparently swap them out when there is memory pressure. As long as there is swap, which for some reason Android seems not to have.

The fact that some idiots decided to implement a new layer on top of this one that for some weird reason forces developers to manually implement checkpointing (aka saving and restoring state) into each and every small application is something I cannot understand. Possibly it has more to do with Android's PalmOS roots than anything else.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Lets not go to too deep in this OT, but the terminal window program's backend could (should) be programmed to be Service and IntentService and it could do just that what you describe. Terminal's GUI would be a normal Activity which connects to that backend which is running CLI processes and bash. The GUI part could be killed in between when a user leaves it (the terminal window) to the background.
Great, so apart from the already existing separation between the terminal process and the bash process (whose only relation is that one is the controller of the other's tty), I have to make up an extra third process that was previously not needed just to fit into this weird reinvention of the wheel. And invent a new IPC paradigm (in Java nonetheless) to communicate the terminal controller with this new third process.

Last edited by javispedro; 2013-12-03 at 04:53.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
How good is BTRFS for a flash memory (sd card)? Any filesystem with excessive writing and journaling is going to be more taxing for flash which has a limited lifetime and amount of writings until it burns out. It of course might not matter at all, if that sdcard isn't used heavily.

ZFS is open, except the Oracle's additions. See http://www.open-zfs.org/wiki/Main_Page
Zfs is not GPL-ed
Barnabas Collins

The Following User Says Thank You to kollin For This Useful Post:
I mentioned yesterday that when I set an alarm, the alarm appeared to be set an hour later, so when I set my alarm for 06:43, it showed as set at 07:43.

I checked the time zones etc and then set an alarm for 05:43, which showed up as an alarm at 06:43, so I was happy

Until the inevitable happened, and the alarm which showed it was set for 06:43 went off at 05:43 :-(
Jolla #272

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to richardyates For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
I mentioned yesterday that when I set an alarm, the alarm appeared to be set an hour later, so when I set my alarm for 06:43, it showed as set at 07:43.

I checked the time zones etc and then set an alarm for 05:43, which showed up as an alarm at 06:43, so I was happy

Until the inevitable happened, and the alarm which showed it was set for 06:43 went off at 05:43 :-(
it's not a bug, it's a feature.this gives you time for a nice relaxed breakfast

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience