Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
the iphone one was like this phone at the mo..

neither are meant to make money, there are try outs- they are product development- we are guinea pigs..

a second gen was already in development at the s\me time as iphone 2g

the next gen nokia will b awesome and the third even better- if they go trhe same way as apple.. which hopefully will happen- because this phone is pushing boundaries
I agree. And I rather choose not having any device instead of a flawed one with no essential benefit.

Why I am doing this whole selling-buying thing?

Selling now:

I do not loose money and I see myself trapped in the Linux problem: Lots of good ideas but you need plenty of workarounds to get things going as you want. The biggest benefit - you can - is also the biggest downside - you have to - and needs lots of time. I don't have this time, not for a phone. I am not a programmer and hack 24/7 on Linux, even though I call myself a Linux power user.

Buying Later:

I love Linux, I think the device is well-thought, steady and has remarkable features and so much more potential. Once it comes closer to "just work" instead "hack" I will go for it. Let see what the firmware upgrade brings. Additionally, I bougth it on NokiaUSA for more than 630$, whereas you can get them pretty soon for less than $500, so it is not for the money.

Last edited by osfight.de; 2009-12-23 at 23:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to osfight.de For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I wont go into the conflicting items in this post - but what I will say is that I just went to Ralph Laurens web site and had zero problems - responded quickly, was able to not only search for a store but bring up the map and pan around on both the road and 3d building view.

Unsure why you have such trouble
I did not have a lot of windows open besides OVI maps and one browser window. The slow down might be due to OVI. However, as I wanted to find the store, I needed OVI open.
The cache of MicroB is also set to 40MB.

Well since the price has come down, you are essentially losing money, by trying to sell. How much do you think you will get for a used n900, when a new one retails for like 550 or less, if you look in the right place...Cant you just return it and get your money back. Doesnt nokia have a return policy or something to that effect...if you cant be patient, why not just go get another device, and dont return back to the n900...or are you suggesting we all sell our devices and wait til all the crooks and crannies are sorted out, and then all go back out and buy them again??!

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
why havent you tried to take the unit back as faulty

the nokia n900 is basically a beta- nokia would never refuse a refund- from you or by any shop you may have bought it off, if you are experiencing problems, even if you arnt experiencing that many, just say its the reboot bu or what ever

My device rebooted prolly 2-3 times within a month of using it. I defeated my battery short life simply following the guide someone posted here. I use 2 different browsers and a switcher to watch flash/regular mobile versions of pages. The only complain I have is the bluetooth issue, that I hope will be address in next update.
I love this device, I will not sell it to anyone.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by osfight.de View Post
[*] WPA max key length field of 64 digits, whereas one need 65
This didn't set well with what I knew of WPA, so I checked Wikipedia: "Pre-shared key mode (PSK, also known as Personal mode) is designed for home and small office networks that don't require the complexity of an 802.1X authentication server. Each wireless network device encrypts the network traffic using a 256 bit key. This key may be entered either as a string of 64 hexadecimal digits, or as a passphrase of 8 to 63 printable ASCII characters."

I just checked a router I maintain, and indeed the administration screen specifies that the WPA password should be 8 to 63 characters.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
...or are you suggesting we all sell our devices and wait til all the crooks and crannies are sorted out, and then all go back out and buy them again??!
Not suggesting anything, everybody takes what he wants from this posting. I just do that to stop myself hacking on the N900, as I am already stuck at home with hacking on my Linux machines. As a student I had somewhat time and fun to do that, but at a certain
point you just want things to work and use them or you are an IT guy and either way spent most of your time with fixing things.

The Following User Says Thank You to osfight.de For This Useful Post:
I do very little "hacking" on three desktop ubuntu installs, and three server CentOS installs... this is yet another myth about linux.

The iPhone, at its core, is BSD Unix (it's running a darwin kernel). Does that make it need "hacking" all the time?

You are confusing the "first release" roughness of this device with the "it's a real computer running a real OS that you, the owner, can really mess with" power of it.

If you want a canned phone, just get a canned phone. You can even get one from Nokia

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
This key may be entered either as a string of 64 hexadecimal digits, or as a passphrase of 8 to 63 printable ASCII characters."
As I understand it, Windows allows 64 ASCII character passphrases though--in violation of the spec. That has led some networking equipment manufacturers to build to the "Windows standard" and therefore allowed some Windows-only shops to configure their wireless LANs in a broken manner.

The MCSEs say their networks are fine as all the Windows notebooks can connect. Nokia says their Maemo devices are fine as they exactly follow the specifications. Users find themselves rapidly balding in a strange, patchy, painful way.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-12-24 at 01:35.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
As I understand it, Windows allows 64 ASCII character passphrases though--in violation of the spec. That has led some networking equipment manufacturers to build to the "Windows standard" and therefore allowed some Windows-only shops to configure their wireless LANs in a broken manner.

The MCSEs say their network is fine as all the Windows notebooks can connect. Nokia says their Maemo devices are fine as they exactly follow the specifications. Users find themselves rapidly balding in a strange, patchy, painful way.
The fault here, if this is the case, is entirely windows.

Doesn't surprise me in the least, though.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!