N800 owner, here.

Worst case, in my experience, if your tablet won't boot, it will need a reflash. I actually mailed it off for repair one time, unnecessarily. I should have tried to flash it, myself. Newbie mistakes.

If you can't flash it, or flashing doesn't solve your problem, then you have a real problem that you probably can't handle yourself. They had to replace my touchscreen, on my first repair. That was a real issue. The second time, I was just gun-shy, if you know what I mean.

The lesson, in short, keep a current backup. If you install something, make a new backup. Don't overwrite your old back-up, either. I keep one "known good" backup, and one "just installed something new" backup. If my tablet crashes hard and good, I don't sweat it anymore.

I haven't had a problem since the first OS2008 beta, though, tbh. I had a couple OS2007 updates that were flaky as hell for me. I cussed. I cried. I posted diatribes. All water under the bridge now. I'm a happy camper with OS2008.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Will it just get so dead that the battery-charging screen / blue light won't turn on?
No, it shouldn't. Once the battery is too low, it turns off. Then you have the usual power-on problem.
I find that if it has the power-on problem, it won't even charge. So if the battery goes flat, I put it in the fridge for a few minutes, and then plug in the charger. You should see it wake up a few seconds later.

It spent the day with the screen & keys locked and so it should have gone to standby. Are there any standby settings I can play with to save power?
There is no 'standby' like on a laptop or TV. It just uses almost no power when idle. So close the web-browser if it may have flash or javascript running.

Hey guys and gals, the new firmware is out! Gonna have to re-flash though. I am on a dial-up connection and won't be able to download and flash my n800 until tomorrow. Could anyone flash there's and post your results?

Here's the page.

Last edited by camaroer87; 2008-02-19 at 22:04.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by camaroer87 View Post
Hey guys and gals, the new firmware is out! Gonna have to re-flash though. I am on a dial-up connection and won't be able to download and flash my n800 until tomorrow. Could anyone flash there's and post your results?
Just did it. Yup, 40 on and off without a glitch. Go for it. http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16876,
dl your file here before it disappear, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=144658.

and say thanks to anidal whos kindness made it happen.

bun

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lexington, KY
I too am the new owner of Nokia N800. After charging the unit I turned it on long to restore previous Nokia data and then stupidly turned it off. Now I cannot turn it back on. I have read through this thread and tried everything suggested to no avail. I sent Dell an email asking about how to exchange it. (Assuming I can). If not I'm stuck. Any thoughts? I have tried charging, battery in and out; battery out and wait (the longest is overnight). Still nothing! When it charging there are lights, or icons just a a dark screen. Any insight is welcomed.
Thanks.

Yea, just do the firmware update that brunanson posted. Should cure all your problems

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lexington, KY
Not to be stupid but how do you do a firmware update when the unit has no power? The computer won't recognize the Nokia due to the lack of power. Or am I wrong?

Oh yea, forgot about that problem. Make sure you've got the new firmware image and everything ready to go on your computer. Then put the n800 into a plastic bag and then into the freezer for like a half hour. When you pull it out follow the steps like you normally would to do a firmware update. That is what worked for me.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by David C. Kelly View Post
Not to be stupid but how do you do a firmware update when the unit has no power? The computer won't recognize the Nokia due to the lack of power. Or am I wrong?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...32&postcount=2

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by David C. Kelly View Post
I got a N800 from buy.com 2 weeks ago. It booted up only once and was dead. Dead, dead, dead. And I then also realized there is a wide spectrum of dead. That included, exchanged with a fully charged battery, plug it in overnight, press the G spot, press rapidly in successive sessions, charge between 3-5 min but not more then attempt after 2 min and 30s etc etc! Still no sign of life. Anyhow, I stucked the N800 into fridge, NOT freezer, you know, the plastic bin for vegetable for 20 min while I cursed Nokia and buy.com with the most foul language I ever learned. I took the N800 from fridge, like a physician checking some deadbody from the mort, carefully do the USB thing, bingo, it turned on and upgraded the software to 2007.51-3. It has NO problem ever since.

One small/stupid question, 2007.51-3 has been out for ages, why are vendors still shipping this kind of Nokia? Why? Am I unsatisfied? No. I am MAD! A responsible manufacturer should recall ALL unsold N800 and upgrade, or, to save expense, advertise a rapid exchange upon problem, or to sweeten the deal, if problem, will exchange with N810 instead, something like that.

Edit: a small typo, I mean "will exchange with N810WE instead", and explain to the unhappy custormer that there will be a small wait while the N810WE is being made, so and so forth.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-04-10 at 18:54.