Notices

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
That would be very cool.

I assume you have checked out this thread

http://www.qtforum.org/post/57848/ho...ping#post57848

Has some nice code about halfway down that deals with running a process and handling the returned text etc.
I'll have to see if I can adapt it.

In ruby I'd have it pretty functional already. I've done some I/O work in ruby and thanks to the wonder "read_nonblock" method to IO.popen makes it a breeze.

Unfortunately I'm not finding it in python. Using just popen, I can get it to output the pianobar text to the terminal screen... and I can write to it from the buttons. So it's pretty much completely functional in control... I have a Stop, Next, Love, Hate, and Play/Pause button that all work great.

Unfortunately.. I can't read any of the text out in order to display helpful things like Song Title, Artist, and whether or not you've previously marked it as Liked or not. I've messed with popen2-4 so far.. and using any of those I get nothing at all... pianobar doesn't seem to execute at all.

I think part of that problem is pianobar itself.. if you try to launch it in a terminal with "pianobar &" it will actually immediately stop. Pianobar doesn't like having a noninteractive startup it seems.

I'm debating whether I should just take the shortcut like this guy. He has a working GTK version to control pianobar, including adding/removing stations.. but selecting which station to play is annoying because he has the same problem I do - he can't pull anything back from pianobar so listing the station list is out. He just lets you put in your station number into a dialogue box and listen from there.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I figured it out... subprocess' popen works better than the deprecated os popen.. and using stdin=PIPE/stdout=PIPE it works.

Moving discussion here.. that's where it belongs anyway.

I'll update the pianobar deb file soon with the changelog file and a real man page (right now the man page is empty, but it does come with one in the source, I've found it and moved it to the right place now). Also, I'll get it to pass a lintian check... after that - not much more can be done with a single binary deb file. 1.0-3 will probably be the last one till pianobar updates.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-01-21 at 15:23.

I had never heard of pianobar before tonight and now it could possibly one of my favorite thing i've put on my n900! I love pandora.com but it just bogs down my n900 but with pianobar all is well with the world! And to top things off piano bar plus a desktop launcher icon ( http://www.themaemo.com/howto-launch...om-a-shortcut/ ) = homemade pandora app! i'm so happy!

Updated my post with 1.0-3.

Contains changelog, optified, real man page... the only warning in lintian now is that it doesn't know what user/multimedia section is. I pulled that straight from another maemo package so don't blame me!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-01-22 at 15:10.

Another update. All older pianobar's are broken as of today (some update on pandora's end). New sources uploaded today to PromyLOPh's website (e079b45).

I compiled the new one and it works fine.

Remember, only testing I can do for these debs is Upgrade, remove and install in my SDK. All performed without error.

ok so pianobar was working great yesterday but today not so much. I keep getting the following error when i try to login?

~ $ pianobar
Welcome to pianobar!
[?] Username: myemail@goeshere.com
[?] Password:
(i) Login... Error: Protocol incompatible. Please upgrade libpiano.
~ $

I tried doing some research on the issue and it seems like its happened to people using desktop linux boxes but i was the only instance of this issue on a n900. Anyone have any ideas?

Read my post directly above yours and get the new update.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Could someone tell me... since I don't have an N900: If you are listening to pianobar, and enable the FM Transmitter, will it go out through that? I would assume so (all sounds goes through the transmitter when enabled) - but I just want verification. I desperately want to never again listen to normal radio once I get my N900 .

thank you so much! maybe i should learn to read through a thread before posting my problems hehe after updating with your newest package everything works like a dream again thx

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York, NY
Wow, this looks great. So, since I have an N800 (you knew this was coming from someone eventually)...any chance you might be able to port this to work with Diablo (OS2008)? Please? That would really make my day, as I love Pandora but find that using it in the browser is just not really feasible.
I'm sure you'd get lots of love from all the N800/810 users out there as well. Anyways, just thought I'd ask.