Notices

Hey everyone. I am a new N900 user, over from Android (most recently), and I had a few questions.

First of all, are there any physicians or fellow med students who are using this thing as their all-inclusive device? That's the main reason I got it.

How are you running Epocrates on this? Or something similar? I found a thread with the search function, but I didn't really understand what they were talking about. I can usually figure tech stuff out, but I am not a programmer, nor do I really understand Linux very well. Is there any plan for Epocrates to be made specifically to run on Maemo?

What about other medical-specific applications? Anything that you have found useful? If a doc asks me to look something up, I'd like to be able to do it right away. Google is fine, but sometimes it can be a pain to sort through all the results that aren't particularly relevant.

I'd get an Ipod Touch or something if I had to, but I'd rather just do everything from the Nokia.

Any input? Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dillhole For This Useful Post:
well palm has a lot of medical stuff, so you can install garnetvm on your n900 and install palm apps, not sure if there are many maemo applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to chan32167 For This Useful Post:
There doesn't seem to be a version for the n900. There is really no commercial software for the n900.

It does have a really good browser though, so anything you are able to do on a desktop in a browser, you can do with the n900. Aside from flash 10.

where did I just read something about epocrates?...mmh...let me browse again...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dillhole View Post
Hey everyone. I am a new N900 user, over from Android (most recently), and I had a few questions.
From here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40796, thread #12
================================================== =========

Thanks!: 2,137
Thanked 1,164 Times in 556 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bunanson
Default Re: Any medical doctors out there using the n900??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Are there websites you could use?
There is NOTHING not in MDconsult.

There is no surgery not in WeBSurg. I can look it up to see HOW my surgeon is going to 'cut' me :-)

MerckMedicusMobile is what on my N900, there is nothing Merck does NOT know. And there is NO medical journal that is NOT on Merck. Yes, this is NOT a typo, there is NO medical journals that is NOT on Merck.

Epocrates is my drug books, and there is NO drug Epocrates does NOT know. And sure, there are all kinds of goodies on Epocrates drug book, they are medical calculator, medical tipbits, infectious drug use, and a Note to save whatever you care to save.

These ALL work well on my N900, I have reference text, medical journals, drug books, there is NO medical conditions my N900 cannot handle.

Oh sure, ask a medical question that is NOT on this post ,

bun
================================================== =======

Hope this helps,

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
I found an ophthalmolgy dic in Babilon, how did you convert them? I use Startdict...
Thanks and greetings from Colombia!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dillhole View Post
...How are you running Epocrates on this?..!
1) 1st install gvm on N900, dl from here, http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/
2) register for a free account with epocrates
3) get the epocrates.prc (I think it is call setup.prc) into your n900
4) run it and put in the acct info you registered with epocrates.

Autosync once only. After 1st successful autosync, go into setting and disable sync option, and continue to run it to exit, there is a bug in the setup program, it will kieep on autosync without exit

post back with details.

bun

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
"all-inclusive device"

Well, I'm most partial with Up to Date. Because of this, I'll say a N900 might not have been the best choice.

But yeah, stick around and we'll help you push the tablet with all of it's features to help you get through med school.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Heya bun.

I personally don't agree with you about MerckMedicusMobile.

Hope that doesn't create weirdness between us.

He should be able to access Cochrane from his web browser which is the best research to find for evidence based practice which most institutions are heading towards.

But yeah, Up to Date puts it all together for me which is something our tablets don't support.

Just my own opinion of course.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
"all-inclusive device"

Well, I'm most partial with Up to Date. Because of this, I'll say a N900 might not have been the best choice.

But yeah, stick around and we'll help you push the tablet with all of it's features to help you get through med school.
If OP stick with his N900, he can find this really nice kind of people that why i will never leave t.m.o. sry if sounds gay lol

The Following User Says Thank You to maguitodelrock For This Useful Post: