Closed Thread
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I was a bit surprised to see that someone from Gnome Mobile thinks that maemo.org is not pushing gtk+/hildon...
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mobil.../msg00016.html

qgil and Conny are pushing it...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...gtk#post719274

What about you, Council? What are your thoughts on this issue?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
It has been said that these items may be removed
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=166

but that has not happened. Can it happen now? Are there any blockers?

If not removed, can they be rewritten because they give people the false impression that this is a Nokia run site:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=199
Are there answers yet? If not, what is the status? Is it on agenda for discussion at some meeting,etc.? Please respond.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I personally think that having a Meego Touch preview release would help with this, as quite a lot of people are having problems setting up the entire stack, as evidenced by that mailing list thread and some of the emails I'm getting; and ofc my own experience).

For example I am yet to make the compositor work (but tbh I've not yet put much thought into it as I've not really required it so far). But quite a lot of interesting libhildon stuff is the close integration it had with the fremantle window manager / compositor, and that is going to be hard to port to MeegoTouch.

One trait of MeegoTouch is that the compositor seems to be way less involved than the Fremantle compositor ever was, seeing that I can run MeegoTouch samples under both KWin and Metacity and the title bar is shown! *

In fact, from what I gather, each MeegoTouch application seems to be designed to use as few X windows as possible: menus are drawn inside the parent window, "stackable windows" are all handled by Qt on a single X window, etc. **
Hildon used quite an opposite concept, creating an X window for every stackable window, menu, tooltip, ... and letting the compositor take care of it.
So there's going to be quite a lot of work to be done at client level (inside libhildon or -- god forbid -- inside more libgtk patches) that was previously done at server/compositor level, like arranging the menu windows.

And that doesn't look nice. Does Gtk+ have something akin to QGraphicsView?

There's still something I'd like to know: how does mcompositor interact with "old style" windows? Plain Qt applications? What will it do when an application opens a menu X window?

*This also answered one of the first questions I made -- if titlebars are transparent, how does the application know it?
Answer -- applications draw their own titlebars. So they of course know
** Rant about "diverging from desktop Linux" goes here. In fact the only way I managed to get DUI to create an extra X window is by showin a System Model window.
This entire behaviour might be caused because I'm not running duicompositor, though.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-06-30 at 10:19.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I was a bit surprised to see that someone from Gnome Mobile thinks that maemo.org is not pushing gtk+/hildon...
Not sure that you can extrapolate from that that Claudio thinks any particular organisation isn't pushing Gtk+/Hildon.

As with many many things, we support people who take the initiative in any way we can (and they want). In this case, as a developer, I'm fully behind Conny Hald, Javier S. Pedro (a fellow council member), Dave Neary, Carsten Munk and Murray Cumming.

Any help we can provide in an "official" capacity is available, but I'm pretty sure they don't need it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I don't have enough knowledge of the subject matter to weigh in. Wish I did.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi,

qgil and Conny are pushing it...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...gtk#post719274

To put some context on this (and Javier is working for Igalia, so is probably intimately aware of what's been pushed and isn't):

"pushing" Hildon, in the sense you're using it, is not the same as the sense Javier is using it.

qgil is "pushing" Hildon, in that he is encouraging Maemo developers to do the work to maintain Himdon and ensure out outlives the official support for Maemo.

Javier is talking about Hildon application developers taking over the maintainership of the library, and "pushing" any changes they need for that in upstream projects - that is, if (say) Hildon needed to get an official GTK+ patched to have an important feature, Javier is suggesting that it should be the Hildon maintainers who cook up a patch, propose it to the GTK+ maintainers, and track it until it gets into the upstream library.

I specifically haven't mentioned Conny, because he has offered to take some of the maintenance burden of Hildon. But aside from him, there has been a lack of people who have come forward to hack on Hildon, to evaluate the diff between Maemo's GTK+ and the official upstream GTK+ and see what patches can be dropped, and which can be brought back down to Hildon, and which need to be included upstream.

It's useful when using words like "push" that we are on the same page about what that means.

Thanks!
Dave.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Let's just see what will be released tomorrow. Hopefully this will help us understand the problem better and give us room for more experimenting.

Also, as Stormy on gnome-mobile said, it's not yet finally decided how the Nokia money should be spend. If we can analyze the problem properly and come up with a good plan, we can still hope for some funding.

Thanks SD69 for raising this issue in the council thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Dear council, would it be possible for the entrants to the Maemo coding competition to get a karmic-boost? The comp deadline is July 21st and we'd have a final list of entrants by then. Im not sure if karma is an automated thing, or if it can also be added manually, or even if this activity can be counted towards it.. I just thought I'd ask anyway

We have 46 entries already, from old hands to newbies. Not everyone can win a prize but a little bit of karma would be appreciated

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-07-01 at 19:38.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Dear council, would it be possible for the entrants to the Maemo coding competition to get a karmic-boost? The comp deadline is July 21st and we'd have a final list of entrants by then. Im not sure if karma is an automated thing, or if it can also be added manually, or even if this activity can be counted towards it.. I just thought I'd ask anyway
It's automated.

We have 46 entries already, from old hands to newbies. Not everyone can win a prize but a little bit of karma would be appreciated
If people get their apps in to Extras, they'll earn karma.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I PM'ed already Texrat, but I guess this place here is better to ask: (I don't know how ofter he reads his PM's)

Could someone please make the voting threads for the Coding competition sticky?

We need this only for about 2 weeks. As much people as possible should find and see what this competition has brought to us.

Actually there are 3 Threads open, others are comming soon and ready to vote for every community member.
  • Desktop - vote here
  • Location & Navigation - vote here
  • System & Utilities - coming soon
  • Games - vote here
  • Graphics & Multimedia - coming soon
  • Other - coming soon

In my opinion the community councils should follow this voting prozess and help to make it more public. It brought a lot of new and interesting apps to our platform and several new developers.

In the end Nokia should be informed about the whole thing and this success...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council