Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
okay everyone i figured this one out once and for all so here it is....

for those of you who want to run this script automatically using ALARMED, you do the following:

1 - open ALARMED
2 - hit new event
3 - from the add event menu select COMMAND EXECUTION from the drop down
4 - select the frequency of occurrences from the secondary drop down (every minute, hourly etc)
5 - in the enter name field, call the event Optimize
6 - in the enter command field, enter the following command
sudo sh /home/opt/scripts/OptimizeN900 (assuming of course that you followed all previous instructions in this here thread and placed the executable in that folder)
7 - save the preset and then save the event then close ALARMED.
8- sit back and watch!

a word of interest..... the script will not open and run. Instead it will run in the background and kill all processes that are in the "line of fire" per the script. I was able to test my work by opening a browser window and then minimizing the open apps. I then set ALARMED to run the script every minute to see if it killed any open processes. it did in fact kill the browser window, hence proving to me that the process runs smoothly in autopilot through the use of ALARMED. I then went back and set it to run each AM at 6.

hope this helps!! thank you to all who assisted me on this one. and most of all a huge thank you to jorgefx for putting this script together and to all other people who contributed to this effort.

mad respect and props fo sho!

Last edited by ddiscodave; 2010-10-06 at 13:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddiscodave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
I try to run the script but all I get is a bunch of lines
Your Nokia N900 is now being optimized
:Not found
:No process killed
:Not found
:No proxcess killed
:No process killeddexer
Killall: cannot kill pid 3008: No such process

ETC

Originally Posted by jaywink View Post
I ran this (optimize_2) script yesterday a few times and it worked nicely in recovering swapped memory (dropped from ~180mb to ~40mb).

I then added it to Alarmed for a nightly run. I can tell it has run because swap is now at ~130 after using some apps in the morning. But I also noticed that pressing the power button does not bring up the menu anymore. Physically it works since pressing it twice locks the screen (setting in Tweaker).

Any ideas if this is related to using the optimize_2 script or just a coincidence? And any ideas how I can reactivate the power key menu without restarting? )
I have exactly the same problem .. apparently mce is dying ...

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by colchaodemola View Post
I have exactly the same problem .. apparently mce is dying ...
there are posts about this, actually i have gotten it too but ti seems to work well overall. when a browser is open the script kills the browser. those command lines are normnal

Originally Posted by ddiscodave View Post
there are posts about this, actually i have gotten it too but ti seems to work well overall. when a browser is open the script kills the browser. those command lines are normnal

Actually i found out the problem ... If the phone is locked and asking for the password and alarmed run the optimize script , then mce will die. My solution was add a line in the optimize script to stop mce and start mce... its working just fine (Must be run with sudo and be sure the stop and start scripts are in the PATH)

sudo stop mce
sudo start mce

can anyone help me ?

what is the best script i have to use to Optimize my n900

manual why or the deb file ?
and please give me the link to the post to download it

" I am new in N900 "

thank you

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Cape Town, South Africa
Originally Posted by JorgeFX View Post
@geneven, In the future maybe I will post some tips to make the battery last for more than 15hrs of normal use, and then you can try the script
YES please!!!

Guys someone could be interested

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61956

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dany-69 For This Useful Post:
any one help me please ??

Originally Posted by ddiscodave View Post
i tried it but it didnt run at least i dindt see it open and run.... is it possible that it ran in the background????
It didnt run for me. I had to add it using visudo, then it worked.

Tags
faster, reflash, refresh, script-a-brick, sell it