Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
-Notification Centre = stolen from Android
-Multitaskign Gestures = stolen from WebOS/QNX
-iMessages = stolen from Android
-Camera unlock = stolen from WP7
-PC free = stolen from Android
-AirPlay mirroring = stolen from TouchWizz
-Reminders = stolen from somewhere (WebOS/Windows Mobile?)
-Photos (editor) = stolen from somewhere (not sure, think from HTC Sense)
-Wifi-Sync = stolen from somewhere (not sure, think from Windows Mobile)
Now, I'm a basher of iStuff unoriginality-repackaged-with-more-smooth/shiny-UI just like any other properly FOSS-lovin', shiny-jail-hatin', individual, BUT I don't like the use of the word "stolen" here.

They took good ideas and they put them into their product. Great. That's not theft, that's normal human progress. What makes them dicks is when they then sue other people over supposed patent infringements when they do the same thing, or pretend they're the first people to do something and that they singlehandedly revolutionized everything.

I mean, by the same logic you can say everyone "stole" copy-paste from who-ever first implemented it on a computer - but if you're using that loose of a definition of "theft" then "theft" stops being a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Now, I'm a basher of iStuff unoriginality-repackaged-with-more-smooth/shiny-UI just like any other properly FOSS-lovin', shiny-jail-hatin', individual, BUT I don't like the use of the word "stolen" here.

They took good ideas and they put them into their product. Great. That's not theft, that's normal human progress. What makes them dicks is when they then sue other people over supposed patent infringements when they do the same thing, or pretend they're the first people to do something and that they singlehandedly revolutionized everything.

I mean, by the same logic you can say everyone "stole" copy-paste from who-ever first implemented it on a computer - but if you're using that loose of a definition of "theft" then "theft" stops being a bad thing.
You my friend are wrong.
If Apple can sue ANY company on the basis that a device looks and functions somewhat similar to theirs.... and then later they take "inspirations" from other companies, this is what I would call THEFT.

iOS 5 enhancements:
-Notification Centre = stolen from Android
-Multitaskign Gestures = stolen from WebOS/QNX
-iMessages = stolen from Android
-Camera unlock = stolen from WP7
-PC free = stolen from Android
-AirPlay mirroring = stolen from TouchWizz
-Reminders = stolen from somewhere (WebOS/Windows Mobile?)
-Photos (editor) = stolen from somewhere (not sure, think from HTC Sense)
-Wifi-Sync = stolen from somewhere (Windows Mobile)

Here's an analogy.
Let's say you are in a university art class. And you have an assignment to make some sort of diorama. While working on your own diorama that is a black rectangular with aluminium bits, you notice the work of your partner. They have made a fully cardboard square instead, added glitter and used a stripe pattern. So you modify your one to make it square and add glitter, it looks good. Your partner gets the top marks. You get above average.
Your partner gets jealous and goes to the course councilor, and at his request your grades are taken away, your efforts futile. Next week you notice the same person has now added your aluminium strips to their canvas and several other small details from other students. It looks strikingly better. If your "inspiration" was treated as plagiarism, shouldn't their's too qualify?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If someone/something bothers you so much, that it makes you super emotional... then you'd better do something about it.

(no, talking in Internet forums usually has the reverse effect from seeing a proper psychotherapist.)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
If someone/something bothers you so much, that it makes you super emotional... then you'd better do something about it.

(no, talking in Internet forums usually has the reverse effect from seeing a proper psychotherapist.)
So doctor, what pills are you prescribing today?
I wasn't talking, I was clarifying the situation. For some, it is as bad as it seems.

Tags
applecare++, ip4++, yawn++