April 27, 2010 — Microsoft Corp. and HTC Corp. have signed a patent agreement that provides broad coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio for HTC’s mobile phones running the Android mobile platform. Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will receive royalties from HTC.
What?

It talks about Intellectual Property (IP) but does not specify which part of the Andriod phones violate Microsoft's IP (ActiveSync? Sense UI?). And why is Google not part of this?

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...27mshtcpr.mspx

Last edited by Reggie; 2010-04-28 at 14:00. Reason: Changed title.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Apple suit. Cutting a deal with the devil?

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Microsoft is just trying to expand on the *perception* that Linux infringes on its mystery patents. Someone needs to stand up to them and publicly refuse to pay for this form of extortion. Companies that are basing their business on Linux need to unite their forces against these shenanigans and offer protection and even a reward to any company that is approached by Microsoft with similar intent and that is willing to publicly stand up to them.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2010-04-28 at 14:31.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@rm42: what'choo talkin' 'bout, willis?

I applaud your pointless bravado, but we don't even know any concrete details behind MS & htc's deal.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

I applaud your pointless bravado, but we don't even know any concrete details behind MS & htc's deal.
why are most of your post full of sarcasm? can you not reply normally?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ronaldo For This Useful Post:
It's probably down to the number of changes to the Android opperating system, most OS's are written once and then as we are experiencing at the moment, it's a long wait until the next update (pr 1.2)

Microsoft probably owns the patent for "writing a really bad OS so as to be able to patch up loads and make money in the background through advertising etc..."

The Following User Says Thank You to Spotfist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

We have all the details we are going to get.

"Microsoft Corp. and HTC Corp. have signed a patent agreement that provides broad coverage under Microsoft's patent portfolio for HTC's mobile phones running the Android mobile platform. Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will receive royalties from HTC."

What more do you want? The deal specifically mentions royalties for every Android phone due to its use of some mysterious, undisclosed, patent. Its like Jonny Mafioso announcing to the towns folk that the good guys from the groceries store on Passive Street have purchased protection from him against some mysterious calamity that could befall them. Jonny then goes on to encourage every other groceries store in town to purchase similar protection for their own good.

Microsoft is not going to specify what those patents are because they either do not exist or are easy to work around. That is why someone needs to stand up to them so that they show their cards.

Last edited by rm42; 2010-04-28 at 14:50.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
What more do you want? The deal specifically mentions royalties for every Android phone due to its use of some mysterious, undisclosed, patent.
So why are they only going after HTC?

This may be a hardware more than software thing? Otherwise Microsoft should have patents filed against Motorola, Google, Samsung, etc. as well.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Maybe it is the driver for FAT/FAT32 for embedded systems?

or

"We (Microsoft) cannot compete in your marketplace so we will buy some of your profits via patent fees instead."

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
So why are they only going after HTC?

This may be a hardware more than software thing? Otherwise Microsoft should have patents filed against Motorola, Google, Samsung, etc. as well.
The deal specifically mentions Android, in other words Linux. This has been Microsoft's strategy for a while. Where have you been?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu.../28/100033867/

http://alastairotter.com/2010/03/mic...tent-strategy/

No company using Linux is safe as long as this situation continues.

Last edited by rm42; 2010-04-28 at 14:57.