Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Already a thread for this: N9 video chat: Nokia-derived XMPP/Jingle(Gtalk) or Skype, & 3rd-party options
There was never ever going to be 3G video-call, that was always made clear, it was always XMPP/Jingle or Skype.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-28 at 02:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hambert View Post
I told them this update would be out soon, and now this happened. I don't want any Skype, Gtalk, or Facebook videoconference, JUST THE STANDARD 3G VIDEOCALL FOR GOD'S SAKE
As a US user.... WHAT ON EARTH IS 3G VIDEO CALL? JUST THE XMPP FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by Hambert View Post
Many of my friends have 3G video calling. A time ago after buying my N9 i show them my phone and one of the first things they noticed was the front camera, and then i had to admit there was no videocall at all, just a little mirror app. After that, they started calling eachother to test their cameras, almost laughing at me who having the most expensive phone i couldn't do a simple 3G videocall.
And you got upset and possibly depressed. Oh my! How old are you again? 3G video talks would be welcome, but let's face it, it's just a fancy future. I would be useless for regular phone use anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bahía Blanca, Argentina
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
And you got upset and possibly depressed. Oh my! How old are you again? 3G video talks would be welcome, but let's face it, it's just a fancy future. I would be useless for regular phone use anyway.
I didn't get depressed. My wallet did. After expending the amount of money this phone costs, I would expect at least the basic features. And i say basic, because the first time i ever heard about 3G everybody was announcing videocalling as the new feature made massively possible. I've never had the chance to have a phone with videocalling (i was looking forward to test it with my N9), so i can't say if it's useful or not.

So that's it, i don't have money to throw away, and i'm old enough to realise about that. So yes, we can say i get a little bit depressed.

Now getting back on topic, we all know Nokia announced today "videocall support" during the PR 1.2 update. Anyone knows if there is any new feature at all? I mean for devs, final users, or whatever. I just want to know what that point in the changelog stands for.

1100 >> 3220 >> 5310 >> 5230 >> N9

Last edited by Hambert; 2012-02-28 at 03:38.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
i'm old enough to use vidcall.
i was using it on my 5230,X6,5800,N8.
i'm a traveler worker,so i need it to see my lovely wife and all my children,it's not about age,it's about need.

Well, if lack of key videocalling codecs has been delaying Peregrine development of this feature, then the wait may not be long. Let's give the 1.2 update a chance to get out there to devs and see what happens. Peregrine is certainly planning on adding videocalling, last I heard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post: