Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I would like to switch desktop contents between each other. So to say, switch Desktops 1 & 2 (only the stored items on it), without manually moving widgets / shortcuts. Could i write a script, i.e. where is the position of icons etc. stored for each desktop?

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I like this Idea. but I'm not skilled enough to programm something like that.

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
There is smth like Desktop Activity manager, that stores different sessions of the desktops(all of them), and then you can switch between sessions.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I found this:

http://forums.internettablettalk.com...144#post967144

So i have to investigate changing using gconf...

Package 'gconf-editor' was unfortunaely never updated for Fremantle, that would have been easier for analysis. And the one from debian.org has some dependencies that are not resolved, f.e. 'libgconf-2.4' instead of 2.6 as on PR1.3. Crap.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Isn't that what Desktop Switcher does?

Dunno, package description of 'Desktop Switcher' states:

"Desktop home plugin to switch between active destops/views." (sic)

I did it in an unclean, but my way:

1) exported settings:
gconftool-2 -R /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/applets > gconf-desktop-settings.sh
2) altered file so that it contained only the applets that were on desktops 1 and 4
3) exchanged "4" with "1" in 4 steps
3) altered file so that the format per line is correct:
gconftool-2 -s "/apps/osso/hildon-desktop/applets/TaskShortcut:albion.desktop/view" -t int "1"
executed the 'gconf-desktop-settings.sh' script, followed by 'killall hildon-desktop'.

Ok it was quite some effort, but at least it was quicker than manually moving the shortcuts. I'm pretty sure that with some meta-scripting / wildcards, you would be able to alter the settings under /applets/*/view with a simple command line.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-08-08 at 02:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: