Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
HOW TO MAKE A KILLER INDIEGOGO CAMPAING – CASE JOLLA TABLET
Posted on January 6, 2015 by Timo Savolainen
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
"The campaign needed also much more other preparation. The campaign platform was selected in the very beginning from two global options: Indiegogo and Kickstarter. “Kickstarter campaigns need to be run from the United States and we have presence in Europe and Asia."

Shame for me, I have a kickstarter account and would simply have dropped the cash on a jolla tablet had the campaign been there.

As it was, i followed the campaign intently, constantly checking progress... and didn't end up backing it.

I might well pick one up in future...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
Shame for me, I have a kickstarter account and would simply have dropped the cash on a jolla tablet had the campaign been there.
I've gotta ask, is there some significant advantage to having an account on Kickstarter? Or, does having an account there prevent you from using anyone else's service? (I don't have an account on either Kickstarter or Indiegogo, so it's not obvious to me why you'd ignore a campaign on one service simply because you're on another...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
Yeah, because, you know, there's no account needed to contribute to a campaign on Indiegogo...

Or is it in the conditions of having Kickstarter account, that if you contribute elsewhere, they will terminate it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
chaps, what it boils down to was the fact i don't need a tablet.

but, the fact that i have a kickstarter account - and can pay via my amazon account - meant that i probably would have dropped £200 on what would have been an impulse purchase. £200 is the absolute limit for me for an impulse tech purchase, but for jolla I likely would have done it.

the inconvenience of using indiegogo was enough for me to reconsider the impulse.

no need to blow it out of proportion, i'm not shitting on jolla for their decision, merely expressing regret that i missed the crowd-funding boat.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I was thinking about the multitasking view on Jolla. Currently there are the app covers (that can have different kinds of functionality) with fixed size available and there is also promised to be the split screen feature for two running apps.

What I would really like to see would be that the app covers could have diffent sizes. For example videoplayer could have a small app cover (just to keep it running in the background and have video controls available in the cover) or other larger app cover (taking for example space of four smaller app covers) so that you could really watch the video in the multitasking view.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Any thoughts?
Hell yeah. Multi-size overlapping windows have been around since at least 1981 (running on only 384 kB RAM too!).

A proper desktop UI is quite usable even on a 7", 800x480 display (I've tried). Easy Debian on Maemo shows that it is just about usable even on a 3.5" displays of the same resolution. There is really no reason for tablets to push the one-app-full-screen nonsense. Not even on 7.85", 2048x1536 screens.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
What I would really like to see would be that the app covers could have diffent sizes. For example videoplayer could have a small app cover (just to keep it running in the background and have video controls available in the cover) or other larger app cover (taking for example space of four smaller app covers) so that you could really watch the video in the multitasking view.
Hmm. There's a technique out there for running custom-sized miniaturized apps with customized user interfaces on mobile devices. In fact, it's already been well established in GUIs like Android or Maemo -- the widget.

I doubt Jolla would want to complicate their multitasking view with true widget-like functionality; it'd make managing the view a whole lot harder. (I'm not sure I'm happy with how complex their multitasking view is already.)

One concept I would _love_ to see on mobile devices is something that Apple added to Mac OS X years ago, and nobody else really picked up -- the Dashboard. In essence, the Dashboard is a separate window dedicated to holding widgets. Rather than always sitting behind all the other windows, when you bring up the dashboard, the widgets are placed _on top_ of all the other windows; and when you're done looking at them, the entire dashboard is hidden away again. I think something like this would fit more neatly into the existing Sailfish UI.

In fact, I really should check TJC and maybe add this as a feature request.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hell yeah. Multi-size overlapping windows have been around since at least 1981 (running on only 384 kB RAM too!).
Heck, I remember using one of the original Macs. Memory: 128K. Resolution: 512x342. Color palette: Monochrome. Overlapping, resizable windows worked just fine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Luxury! When I was a developer back in the day I wrote a WIMP interface on't BBC Micro in less than 32K.

Seriously though, I would utterly detest overlapping windows in the multitasking view. Jolla could do some kind of masonry grid of blocks which is a well used design pattern on the web though. It might look a tad too familiar to Windows.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet