Can't believe you just said the iPhone has 13 billion useless apps.

Really?

... I don't have words. If you can't find a plethora of useful apps there then you must be blind

» N800, cloned Diablo on 2 GB SD (Device: 600 MB, Internal: 256 MB, Swap: 256 MB), 8 GB external SD

Originally Posted by sullitf View Post
I had been using a G1 for ~1 year, but it died last week. Anyway, Android does multitasking, but not as completely as the N900 does. In Android, lets say you open up the browser and then hit the home key to open up The Weather Channel app. Hitting the home key actually puts the Browser into a sort of sleep mode, not completely exiting out like the iPhone would do but not fully running in the background like the N900 would do either. You can switch back to the browser and it appears to return back to where it was, however it was not actively running in the background and was possibly even paged off in order to regain the memory (especially in the case of the memory-lacking G1).
Also still yes and no.

This is why Android annoys me so badly. Take Pandora Radio for example.. you start Pandora, hit the home button, and Pandora is still playing. Same with eBuddy IM or Meebo IM.

Android does try to keep the last 6 apps running after pushing the Home button.. unless the app itself was made to detect the Home button press and do something special (close, sleep, save-state, whatever). However, the problem is Android likes to randomly decide you don't need apps anymore because Android itself is running out of Memory and just starts closing things on you.

Thus, when you long press Home - you'll get a hodge podge of apps still running, and apps that were in the last six you ran but are now closed. They aren't in order either.. because like I said: Android just picks one to close because it doesn't like it anymore.

Multi-tasking on Android is half-asked .. but when you look at the framework you realize why: I mean, the whole operating system is a Java VM for crying out loud.. talk about unnecessary overhead. In the newer phones with more memory than the G1 I can see multi-tasking being a little more consistent, but the G1 is just terrible.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

i just wanted to address something in this thread.

someone mentioned here that the n1 doesn't have 802.11n, i wanted to say that the chipset in the n1 does indeed support 802.11n as well as MIMO(on the AT&T model). And indeed can do 3.5G with the necessary radio upgrades.

While the actual speed is limited to 75mbps (while as most 802.11n networks can do 150/300mbs) . With the right radio and power allotment the range of the n1 still is vastly superior to most other android phones.

Still even if your 802.11n network was at terminator lock the speed of your system could never keep up with anything over 200mb's.

So the question of 802.11n network speed is a null point on any handset. Locking for range and essid handoff speed however is def. on par with other 802.11n adapters. (given the right firmware-s and software-s ofcoars)

To be fair I still believe however the graphics(mainly the shaders) in the n900 are a bit better than the snapdragon but thats another story.

Hope i shed a little light on this.

Last edited by mmaadx; 2011-07-31 at 18:08.