Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by doksng View Post
No offense meant but let us see if anyone can reproduce the bug.
That might have been a better follow-up to the post with the serious-sounding bug than a call to vote it up.

I had trouble finding Katana in App Manager. I realize the lack of a Religion category makes categorizing it hard. I noticed the Quran is in "Educational" which seems to be the best place for Bible given the limited options. Thoughts?

My comments on the version in Testing (i will look into fixing these myself as time permits, but some will probably be easier for original dev to fix):
  • I already had some modules installed by Rapier, so didn't test the issue from a few posts up
  • Needs icon in App Manager (48x48 iirc)
  • Search
    • Interruptable search -- current behavior is actually a blocker according to Testing Q&A, i think
    • Label for what to search selection box
  • "Go to Verse" is actually Go to Chapter

Rather than vote down due to search i just didn't cast a vote.

I like the simple, uncluttered presentation, and the option to show one verse per line is nice. I think i will be using this instead of Rapier for Sunday school now. Good work.

Edit: When trying to switch back to katana now, it insists on rotating to portrait mode. I have the keyboard open and the phone app closed. Is this normal?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-06-16 at 21:51.

I seems normal for the app to switch to Potrait mode if you hold the phone in that orientation even though your keyboard is open.

Just noticed that you can't stop the search, though it never occured to me to stop the search until you mntioned it.

Originally Posted by doksng View Post
I seems normal for the app to switch to Potrait mode if you hold the phone in that orientation even though your keyboard is open.
The phone app doesn't behave that way and it's the only one i've used with autorotate, so it doesn't seem normal to me... if it hadn't been sitting flat on my desk at the time i probably wouldn't have been as confused.

I'm looking through the code in garage trying to figure out how to make some changes. I notice that grabGesture is called for swipe gestures in the InfiniteScrollViewer object but it seems to be connected only to a function to print out the type of gesture (which i can't see actually happening if i run from console). Is this dead/test code?

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I had trouble finding Katana in App Manager. I realize the lack of a Religion category makes categorizing it hard. I noticed the Quran is in "Educational" which seems to be the best place for Bible given the limited options. Thoughts?
That seems reasonable. I've changed it svn.

Needs icon in App Manager (48x48 iirc)
I've tried to get this - I have an icon embedded in debian/control correctly, and it shows up some places (on the package page, for example), but it doesn't show up in the App Manager. Could you please see if you can figure out why this isn't working?

Interruptable search -- current behavior is actually a blocker according to Testing Q&A, i think
This is fixed in svn.

Label for what to search selection box
I tried adding a label, but it looks ugly and disjointed with one there, and I think that the setting is intuitive without a label.

"Go to Verse" is actually Go to Chapter
Changed in current svn.

The Following User Says Thank You to joshn53 For This Useful Post:
The phone app doesn't behave that way and it's the only one i've used with autorotate, so it doesn't seem normal to me... if it hadn't been sitting flat on my desk at the time i probably wouldn't have been as confused.
I'll look into fix this; it's because we have to roll our own rotation code.

I'm looking through the code in garage trying to figure out how to make some changes. I notice that grabGesture is called for swipe gestures in the InfiniteScrollViewer object but it seems to be connected only to a function to print out the type of gesture (which i can't see actually happening if i run from console). Is this dead/test code?
Yes. Qt has gesture support, but it doesn't work in Maemo 5. I was hoping that it would (this was before the 4.6.2 final release), so that I could use swiping for forward/back. It's never worked though, so I guess I'll just remove it.

The Following User Says Thank You to joshn53 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Thank you for making this app available. Although I already have a couple of Bible apps on my N900 (thanks to Garnet VM), there is one translation that I am interested in obtaining and I wonder if it is available on this program. It is called "The New American Bible". It is produced by the Catholic church. Although I do not adhere to the doctrines of that church (and this is not the place to discuss doctrine), I understand that this translation is one of the most accurate translations of the original Greek. I learned that after reading this book:

"Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament"

I am definitely going to buy me a copy for my library, but it would nice to have it in my pocket for quick reference.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
I'll look into fix this; it's because we have to roll our own rotation code.

Yes. Qt has gesture support, but it doesn't work in Maemo 5. I was hoping that it would (this was before the 4.6.2 final release), so that I could use swiping for forward/back. It's never worked though, so I guess I'll just remove it.
Wow, you're fast. Well, i was looking at the gesture part trying to decide the best way to add side-to-side switching of chapter or book (configurable, i suppose). It seems pretty silly this doesn't work in Maemo. Could a horizontal scroll be hacked to do it? Worst case, i guess we could use the l/r arrow keys.

I'll try to figure out the icon issue.

Edit: Seems to suggest here that gestures work specifically on Maemo. Is it possible this is just wrongly-implemented?

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-06-17 at 15:04.

Flandry, is there a way to promote a new version of a package to extras-testing without losing the karma? I'd like to push the new version, but don't want to lose the votes that have already been cast.

Edit: Seems to suggest here that gestures work specifically on Maemo. Is it possible this is just wrongly-implemented?
It's certainly possible, but I've spent a tremendous amount of time trying to get it to work. I wanted to use it for history browsing, like MicroB.

Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
Flandry, is there a way to promote a new version of a package to extras-testing without losing the karma? I'd like to push the new version, but don't want to lose the votes that have already been cast.
Not that i'm aware of. The testing and promotion to Extras step is a fairly frustrating experience for many devs and maintainers and i have certainly beat my head against the really inflexible system in the past.

I'd vote up the new version, though.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword