Active Topics

I removed the old backups from the backup folder on the PC and did a sync and my memos/contacts etc all showed up fine. I'll try Epocrates again and see if I have any more luck. When I didn't set the attributes before, it failed on each of the epocrates application with connection lost until I set the attributes. I'm wondering why.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dwforslund View Post
I removed the old backups from the backup folder on the PC and did a sync and my memos/contacts etc all showed up fine. I'll try Epocrates again and see if I have any more luck. When I didn't set the attributes before, it failed on each of the epocrates application with connection lost until I set the attributes. I'm wondering why.
Can you explain a little bit about the link between backup folder and sync? TIA,

bun

I now see a message that my memory is full (when there was more than 20Mbytes remaining) and the the Garnet VM won't start and then all my applications disappear. Perhaps the GVM fails to get memory from the N810 and then fails even though I had allocated more memory up front (and I thought it reserves it).

Regarding the link between backup folder and sync, I have no real understanding, only empirical data. It isn't always very clear what is going on (to me, at least)

The Following User Says Thank You to dwforslund For This Useful Post:
I'm finding that occasionally hotsync locks up my tablet completely. It says that it hasn't started on the PC and then no buttons or screen responds at all on the tablet. I have to press the reset to get the machine back. When I try to run the GVM I get the message: "Can't connect to GVM (error 0x30040000)". This then normally results in all my installed applications going away when I restart the Garnet VM. :-(
Are others experiencing this? It is a real problem in the reliable use of the GVM. This is the beta2 release on Diablo.

Hotsync following this "crash" tries to restore the applications, but I get the message that the memory may be full, and when I try to run one of the installed apps, I get a GVM error and the apps disappear again! Another hotsync seems to bring them back ok, but some of the application data is missing.

I redownloaded Epocrates (after getting it to no use a memory card) and installed it as documented by Epocrates. It seemed to install correctly without errors. After the second hotsync to update the Rx data, I tried to launch it from the GVM and got the error: 0x30060207 and all my applications disappeared (again). Some of you seem to have it working, but I don't know how. I'm using a 32Mb memory allocation which seemed to be more than it needs. After another hotsync it seemed to come ok. However, Epocrates crashed in the middle of one its applications and then when I run the GVM, the apps were gone (again). But some resyncing and they all come back (with some lost data).

Anyway it looks like it all works now with some caution.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
FWIW, I was able to install ePocrates and do updates correctly by using WiFi to complete the install/update instead of hotsyncing. Mainly this is because I don't hotsync - even with my Palm TX I never hotsynced.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by wsiebert View Post
Datebook and Pocketquicken install and hotsync normally. Audible Reader, however, insists on being reinstalled on every hotsync, then refuses to look in my internal SD card for books. Player will only download that part of a book that will fit in internal memory. I consider it much easier to convert the Audible file to mp3 with Goldwave, move it to the card, and listen with Media Player.

The other apps that were on my Zire 72 all have much better substitutes that are native to the NIT (Xword, for example, is at least the equal of Crossword Puzzles for Palm OS).
This idea that you can convert Audible files to mp3 with Goldwave is very persistent. I decided to try it. Again. Goldwave does not recognize Audible files.

I didn't see this one yet, so here's a screenshot.
Lufthansa timetable. The Palm version works much better than the Windows Mobile version, so we get the best deal with GVM.
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...l=en&cid=18002
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I think, this works with continental too, the last time I flew. Whoever is flying and using a tablet, go to your airline's website, chances are, they already has a 'customized' palm and works much more smooth than their website. Or whoever is planning a trip. I forgot about this once I am back to my office. Thanks TA-t3.

bun

Tags
apps, essential, garnet, palm