Originally Posted by n900_ View Post
Easy debian is much faster on seperate emmc partition.
I copied estel image to new created ext3 partition on emmc by dd.tool and changed chroot config to reading from mmcblk0p4
Libreoffice starting in 17-18seconds (cold start, swap restarted) and under 10seconds, when I run it before.

PS: Only cssu thumb, 500-900MHz clock and 1GB swap on microsd - no speedpatch, swappolube and other stuff like that
Next I converted it to ext4 partition and I noticed little performance boost - now libreoffice writter start in 16-17s after restarting swap (cold start) and 7-8s "hot" start

VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTiccuzlnxM
Wow! Amazing performance! I've just followed your steps to put ED on a dedicated ext4 partition as explained here and I can really feel a very good improvement while interacting with heavy software like Libre Office, Iceweasel and Inkscape. The UI, specifically, is way more responsive now.

But the loading times that I'm getting are nowhere near what you got (33-36 seconds to perform a cold load on LibreOffice Writer with 2GB of swap on SD restarted a few seconds before doing the test). I'm using Kernel-Power, BatteryPatch (max 805Mhz, left keyboard slide open and LCD turned on) and SpeedPatch. Surprisingly (at least for me) enabling Swappolube with proposed settings increased the loading time of the same test to 52-57 seconds!

I believe that CSSU-thumb should make a good difference due to lower memory usage by Fremantle apps, but I'm asking myselft if such huge difference couldn't be also because I'm using armel repositories while you may have tested with armhf ones? Or maybe some LibreOffice-specific configuration file that I missed?

n900_, which one of the Estel's image did you use in this test? I'm currently using the ED image debian-m5-sulu.img.ext2 (dist-upgraded to wheezy) on separated ext4 partition on eMMC.

I'm very excited to achieve similiar performance results as you demonstrated in the two videos by following your steps.

Originally Posted by gm90_blackmamba View Post
new version of Chromium and same sag fault for me..sameone has just tried it?
Using the latest chromium-browser from wheezy armel official repository here and it only prints "Segmentation Fault" and quits. Latest Iceweasel from same repository, although, is working very nicely here.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaftPunker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DaftPunker View Post
Wow! Amazing performance! I've just followed your steps to put ED on a dedicated ext4 partition as explained here and I can really feel a very good improvement while interacting with heavy software like Libre Office, Iceweasel and Inkscape. The UI, specifically, is way more responsive now.

But the loading times that I'm getting are nowhere near what you got (33-36 seconds to perform a cold load on LibreOffice Writer with 2GB of swap on SD restarted a few seconds before doing the test). I'm using Kernel-Power, BatteryPatch (max 805Mhz, left keyboard slide open and LCD turned on) and SpeedPatch. Surprisingly (at least for me) enabling Swappolube with proposed settings increased the loading time of the same test to 52-57 seconds!

I believe that CSSU-thumb should make a good difference due to lower memory usage by Fremantle apps, but I'm asking myselft if such huge difference couldn't be also because I'm using armel repositories while you may have tested with armhf ones? Or maybe some LibreOffice-specific configuration file that I missed?

n900_, which one of the Estel's image did you use in this test? I'm currently using the ED image debian-m5-sulu.img.ext2 (dist-upgraded to wheezy) on separated ext4 partition on eMMC.

I'm very excited to achieve similiar performance results as you demonstrated in the two videos by following your steps.
I'm using estel squeeze image. In this video I had ideal profile with 500-900MHz clock. Now I'm using dsp profile with 250-900 (better battery life). Libreoffice starting in 16-17seconds (cold start).
No swappolube and speed/battery patches. I had speedpatch and batterypatch and I think overall speed was slower than stock maemo @ 600MHz.

Edit: I will test armhf (it's working when you create new chroot by debootstrap and metasploit starting in almost same time as native compiled newest ruby - much much faster than metasploit on ruby from maemo repo), but I don't have time to build armhf image now, so I'm using great estel squeeze armel image.

Last edited by n900_; 2012-11-04 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Does totem movie player works?

I'm using estel squeeze image. In this video I had ideal profile with 500-900MHz clock. Now I'm using dsp profile with 250-900 (better battery life). Libreoffice starting in 16-17seconds (cold start).
No swappolube and speed/battery patches. I had speedpatch and batterypatch and I think overall speed was slower than stock maemo @ 600MHz.
I should do some more tests without speedpatch and batterypatch installed and post the results. Searching on Qole's page, I found this image: debian-m5-estel.img.ext3.lzma. Is this the one that you used in the test? Have you upgraded it to wheezy at the time you did the this test?

Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
Does totem movie player works?
I think so: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2215.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaftPunker For This Useful Post:
DaftPunker Yes, That's it.
Not upgraded - only direct copied from image to ext4 partition by cp -a. (dd tool change filesystem to image's filesystem)

I get some sleep now. It's too late.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n900_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Barcelona - Spain
Originally Posted by Dominic71 View Post
Hi everybody, I'm having some troubles and didn't find the answer, so far. I usually work with Easy Debian, but yesterday wanted to try Ubuntu. After installing I successfully opened it, but when I clicked on the menu button, many applications that I usually have with Easy Debian, were missing from drop-down menus.

I uninstalled Ubuntu and rebooted: but when I opened Easy Debian, the menu now had the same missing applications on the menu. It's not that the programs have been deleted: if I activate - for example 'Evince' - from command line or control panel, the application opens properly: it simply doesn't appear on the menu.

I tried many times to completely uninstall Debian LXDE from the app manager, and to download anew the 2 gb image: but no matter what i do, the Easy Debian menu doesn't return to its original default configuration.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Domenico
Hello, I'm having this exact problem after installing Easy Ubuntu yesterday.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66531

I didn't found the file ubuntu-m5-v1.2.img.ext2.lzma so I downloaded and uncompressed ubuntu-m5-v1.img.ext2.lzma from Qole's site and installed ubuntu-n900.deb.

Ubuntu worked ok but it changed the application menus in Easy Debian, missing Gimp and UFRaw from the Graphics menu, Iceweasel has been replaced with Firefox, etc etc.

I uninstalled Ubuntu and deleted the ubuntu img file and rebooted but the problem remains. Uninstalled Easy Debian and Easy Chroot too, and reinstalled them with no success. Copy the Debian image again to the N900 didn't worked too.

Aynone knows please how to restore Easy Debian to its default configuration?

Also can the .debian directory be deleted completely, or is dangerous?

I know this has been asked before but just to make sure, still no ideas as to how to install Skype in Easy Debian? The only flaw on the N900, the abscence of Skype sms, and what a big flaw it is...

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by solbrit View Post
I know this has been asked before but just to make sure, still no ideas as to how to install Skype in Easy Debian? The only flaw on the N900, the abscence of Skype sms, and what a big flaw it is...
Theoretically there is a way:
Install qemu in ED, install your favourite x86 Linux (or even Windows) in qemu and install Skype on top of the emulated OS.

But practically:
No, there's no chance unless MS releases the source code of skype and gives us the chance to compile it natively on armel.
The qemu variant I just mentioned would be so incredibly slow that you could as well travel around the world to meet the one you wanted to skype with in person.

Instead you could try if the Android version works in Nitdroid (assuming that still exists - I've not been around here for quite a while).

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Sorry for bringing up old posts, I have to catch up on some things.
vi_: armhf is working fine, when you create new chroot by debootstrap
I've tried that about half a year ago but it wasn't stable at all. ED started but loading random applications caused my N900 to reboot.

So if you got more promising results than I did would you mind sharing your image? If it actually works we might expect gains in performance up to 20% over armel for some applications (although to be realistic we wouldn't see any change at all in most applications).

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze