Posts: 34 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Rosice, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Impressive....
But what sort of BT & sound-card does your PC have?
N9 can stream AAC-LC over BT. Maybe his PC can't and streams only SBC.. But I don't know if AAC streaming applies when listening to MP3 files for example (whether N9 converts it on the fly to AAC for streaming hence the better sound quality).

The Following User Says Thank You to celebrant For This Useful Post:
N9 can stream AAC-LC over BT. Maybe his PC can't and streams only SBC.. But I don't know if AAC streaming applies when listening to MP3 files for example (whether N9 converts it on the fly to AAC for streaming hence the better sound quality).
Is there a way i can find out if my pc streams mp3/aac or sbc?

I use it with spotify.

Bluetooth tech is totally confusing, devices support either aac, apt-x or only sbc and usually it isn't even listed in the specs.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2012-01-01 at 12:03.

I'm looking to get some accessories and noticed the Bluetooth receiver and other things support aptX, Nokia having licensed last year. Seems odd (annoying) that N9 doesn't support aptX, even though it's seen extensively in advertising pairing with various accessories promoting high quality audio.... wonder if PR1.3 has it included... hmmm

It looks like this was talked about in relation to the N900, and it appears that apt-X is definitely a no-go. A few Android products have shipped with apt-X support, so depending on exactly how the implementation of that works it might be possible to lift the binaries from one of those - I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

The chances of Nokia adding this officially are basically nil - the last firmware release is almost complete and isn't going to be adding any significant features. Contacting anyone at Nokia about it is probably a waste of time. :|

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Apt-X is not part of bluetooth standard, so its quite unlikely to ever happen.

Would have loved the N9 to support apt-X. Looking into getting the Sennheiser MM 450X's.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
So, does apt-X sound any better? Does anyone have any objective or subjective data regarding this?

The thing is, I bought some headphones that are only compatible with SBC and apt-X (creative's). The headphones have way better bass response than my other only pair of headphones (in-ear...), but there's some weirdness in the sound and I ponder whether that's how artifacts of SBC sound, or it's just my imagination. I also ponder whether apt-x is really any better considering it has the same bandwidth limitations as SBC and is an ADPCM codec.

If it is the case I might actually look into this... (given enough time, of course ... )

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-07-04 at 21:28.