the SDL1.3 thing was on purpose because packaed != available as this SDL1.2 discussion shows.

Are you sure regarding GLES1 on maemo? I have no real device to verify, but in scratchbox I have just this:
Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: /usr/include] > ls GL*/ 
GL/:
glxint.h  glxmd.h  glxproto.h  glxtokens.h  internal

GLES/:
egltypes.h

GLES2/:
gl2.h  gl2ext.h  gl2extimg.h  gl2platform.h

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by MadMan2k View Post
the SDL1.3 thing was on purpose because packaed != available as this SDL1.2 discussion shows.
Nobody using it does not mean not available

Are you sure regarding GLES1 on maemo? I have no real device to verify, but in scratchbox I have just this:
In x86 sbox you have that, since, as I've said, gles11 was not packaged for x86 and you must use the Imagination SDK. But the armel SDK does have the OGLES 1.1 headers.

I tried to summarize the discussion here in my blog: http://www.rojtberg.net/312/opengl-on-the-n900/

in case someone non-technical wants to understand the issue...
Doesnt quake III already run on the n900. Sorry perhaps I misunderstood your blog.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Doesnt quake III already run on the n900. Sorry perhaps I misunderstood your blog.
yeah quake3 was ported - I probably should choose an other example...

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I rolled a 20 on "animate dead" and this thread was successfully zombified.

May i request an update by those who are in the know about this?
  • What's the current situation with GL ES? Reading through this thread, it sounds like 1.1 is available in the SDL1.3 package. Was it ever back-ported to SDL12? What about 2.0? Which SDL13 package is the right one (there is an SDL13 and SDL1.3 package)?
  • How transparent is using GL ES in SDL instead of GL?
  • What's needed now to set up an app to use GL ES via SDL?

Thanks in advance.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

SDL 1.3 is an entirely different beast that seems to be still under heavy development (check the mailing list -- I'm still surprised they're still changing things like whether opaque handles are void* pointers or numeric identifiers, and frankly I believed it was close-to-be-released).

Also, the GL ES support for GNU/Linux in SDL 1.3 is still very much Pandora oriented (to begin with, you have to --enable-video-pandora), and last time I checked out there was not support for GL ES 2.0.

As for SDL 1.2, well, adding support for both GL ES versions shouldn't be that hard -- but remember SDL 1.2 is a "system library" and patches have to go through Nokia (though this thread proves that it seems there is some movement ).

Also, I would be able to do a external library for "simple" support (like what I did to use animation actors from SDL) -- the library has access to the X Window id where SDL renders, and thus can create a EGL context and then let your application proceed with the usual gl calls. Of course, this wouldn't be "standard SDL", but then again nothing about GLES is standard in SDL.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-01-30 at 19:33.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Also, I would be able to do a external library for "simple" support (like what I did to use animation actors from SDL) -- the library has access to the X Window id where SDL renders, and thus can create a EGL context and then let your application proceed with the usual gl calls. Of course, this wouldn't be "standard SDL", but then again nothing about GLES is standard in SDL.
So I did that:
http://git.maemo.org/git/sdlhildon/?...src/SDL_gles.h

What do you think? My opinion is that anything is better than barebones Xlib, which is what seems to be becoming the standard for the N900 due to the numerous samples on the wiki. Also, the above API tries to resemble the SDL 1.3 GL one, "helping" with the transition when the latter its done.

You can find some examples in http://git.maemo.org/git/sdlhildon/?...f=sdlgles/test , and if you've read the SimpleGL Xlib example (and my older ones), compare with the SDL SimpleGL: http://git.maemo.org/git?p=sdlhildon...st/simplegl.cc .
It's nearly 30% shorter, and that doesn't even include keyboard logic (which as you can guess it's also simpler with SDL). Performance is as usual -- 55fps. You can even fullscreen/defullscreen without losing the GL context (something that sadly tends to happen in SDL 1.2).

If this is helpful we could discuss about integrating something similar into the Maemo SDL 1.2, but for the moment I plan to upload it to -devel and hopefully get SDL back to its rails on Maemo with some examples in the wiki. Already on -devel!

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-03-05 at 00:25.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
I was able to port existing SDL versions of many of the nehe opengl demos to SDL_gles (the resulting nehegles is in extras-devel). My conclusions are:

a) Everything works as expected
b) This is really rather simple
c) It shouldn't matter to much how the details of the SDL integration look like as it only affects initialization and two or three #ifdefs won't hurt if you want to add SDL 1.3 compatibility or similar

So i am pretty satisfied with SDL_gles. And i saw that brain party also uses it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Nice work, feel free to put it in the OpenGL wiki page. I'm sure it will help start up GL development for the N900!

Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
And i saw that brain party also uses it.
Also, according to the repository, tuxrace, teeworlds, gltron and tomatoes are using it too. So at least it seems to work

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
I'm able to compile some of the NeHeGLES-lessons on the device!

But where do i find "glu.h", needed for the quadrics lesson?

Edit: Found it in NeHeGLES-sources...

Last edited by mankir; 2010-06-17 at 11:02.