Posts: 115 | Thanked: 188 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Finland
Dear community,

I am experiencing issues with the Ovi Store as it seems that nobody(?) is getting the updates for free even when they have bought and paid that application earlier.

Is it really so that _all_ downloads costs money, even when those has been marked as patch updates by the publisher?

If you are experiencing these issues, could you vote on the public bug @ https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=942

Kind Regards,
Juhapekka Piiroinen

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juhapekka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Yep. Made me pay for fmobi twice.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Yep. Made me pay for fmobi twice.
Kind of a positive thing that I am not alone with this issue. I just hope that they would fix this, because as an end user it sucks to pay twice (or more) and as a publisher it sucks to rip-off the end users with your mistakes when you provide a bug fix for the application.

I am just so puzzled that nobody have not complain about this earlier. :/

I just wonder if it would work that you would get a free update if you would remove the application manually before the update..

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Ouch, this is a major issue. I'm pretty sure this used to work correctly in pr1.0 days.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juhapekka View Post
I am experiencing issues with the Ovi Store as it seems that nobody(?) is getting the updates for free even when they have bought and paid that application earlier.
This sounds really strange as it shouldn't be like that!!

I have published one paid application for N9 on Ovi Store and updated it a couple of times. I and some of my friends have updated the app multiple times successfully without having to pay again. Even if you remove the app completely, Ovi Store let's you download it again for free, as you have already paid it once. I have tested all this with PR1.0, PR1.1 and PR1.2 beta software, while incrementing the last two digits (minor & patch) of the version number (1.x.y).

According to Ovi Store publishing guide lines, only increasing the first digit (major) of the version number forces the customers to pay again, as it is considered a completely new version of you software and you can change the price point as well then.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by juhapekka View Post
Kind of a positive thing that I am not alone with this issue. I just hope that they would fix this, because as an end user it sucks to pay twice (or more) and as a publisher it sucks to rip-off the end users with your mistakes when you provide a bug fix for the application.

I am just so puzzled that nobody have not complain about this earlier. :/
It sucks big time. I noticed the option to "buy" when i just got told there is an update available. Doesnt add up. I hit it anyway thinking it surely wouldnt charge me but it did. I am now in the middle of getting Ovi to refund the small amount. Not cool.

This also appears in the case when I have shared a Nokia Account between N950 and N9, if I buy an application on other one (for example N950), then I will see the "updates" on the one (for example N9) which does not have it, but in order to install it to the second one I would have to pay for the update. So all in all for it seems that the Ovi Store client on N9 does not handle those things very well.

So I would expect that every paid application which I see in Download History page would be downloadable, but at least for me this is not the case. Neither on PR1.1 or in PR1.2 Beta. I will just see that there is "Update" or I will just see the item and i can just download it as I see just "Buy".

Same happens with Music Store, in which I have now bought two times the same album on same device, as the device rebooted during the download and the transfer-ui lost all the items.. but this is a different story i guess..

Originally Posted by Kallela View Post
According to Ovi Store publishing guide lines, only increasing the first digit (major) of the version number forces the customers to pay again, as it is considered a completely new version of you software and you can change the price point as well then.
This is also what I would expect, but which I have not seen. I guess the only difference what I have done is that I have changed from Free to Paid the price point and vice versa. So maybe something has gone bad in ovi store because of that.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
I read somewhere that you can download an app only 5 times before you have to repay it.
I as a publisher would like that people only have to pay once, unless I explicitly want them to repay (i.e. major update). I also often publish minor updates.

I will try to test it with one of my own apps.

Beside of all, I suggest to post your question at http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...to-Nokia-Store
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post: