Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
There have been discussion about Mer in many threads, and Mer discussion does not belong to the "Nokia is porting ubuntu to ARM" -thread, so i made a new thread for this.

Btw, i think subforums for Mer on Ubuntu would be really great...

Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
Okay, so I'm booting Mer but I can't seem to get the xserver to work. I have installed the packages from the mer repos for xorg.
I tried to setup xorg.conf but I'm guessing I have the wrong settings. All I get when I try to start the xserver is a blinking screen.

Incidentally, it also seems to choke on alsa during startup but gets over it well enough to drop me in the terminal. I'll worry about this later... I also occaisionally run into dsp errors on bootup.
How did you install Mer? Did you use imager or grab the really old Hasty tarball?
The imager, that installs the latest version is on launchpad.

What bootmenu are you using? I highly recommend you to use deblet's bootmenu, it has the needed linuxrc option. Penguinbait's bootmenu bolwed up my Mer installatoin once...

I sent you a Jaiku Invitation, look at #reconstructedPOC

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would like to see Mer and Ubuntu subforums too.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I agree.

I got sound to work using same steps as i did for deblet but its really staticy....anyone get sound working good?

or wireless???
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Wireless works.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I would like to see Mer and Ubuntu subforums too.
I think we've moved well beyond "useful subdivisions" to "spam". . . .

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
There have been discussion about Mer in many threads, and Mer discussion does not belong to the "Nokia is porting ubuntu to ARM" -thread, so i made a new thread for this.

Btw, i think subforums for Mer on Ubuntu would be really great...

How did you install Mer? Did you use imager or grab the really old Hasty tarball?
The imager, that installs the latest version is on launchpad.

What bootmenu are you using? I highly recommend you to use deblet's bootmenu, it has the needed linuxrc option. Penguinbait's bootmenu bolwed up my Mer installatoin once...

I sent you a Jaiku Invitation, look at #reconstructedPOC
Sorry I haven't responded... I've been out of town interviewing in Connecticut and Toledo and later this week I'll be going to Kalamazoo. I used both bootmenu's and they both seemed to work just fine for me. It was scrolling through the black linux startup information, but xserver would fail to start.

I used the deblet install instructions and it all seemed to work pretty well. I'm pretty sure the problem was related to my xorg.conf. I didn't know what the specifics were for it, so I had just general stuff in there which I thought would work since it's supposedly failproof now in ubuntu (must just be for x86???).

BTW, the jaunty bootstrap image from launchpad is what I used and it seemed to work well with no errors.

Sorry about posting to that other thread, but I wasn't sure what would be best.

GA: I'm not sure I'm following your spam comment? Care to elaborate?

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-08 at 04:48.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
GA keeps his socks, underwear and t-shirts in one drawer, and he doesn't see why anyone would waste drawers keeping them separate.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
GA keeps his socks, underwear and t-shirts in one drawer, and he doesn't see why anyone would waste drawers keeping them separate.
I think he keeps his food in that drawer also no need to separate things at all really.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Hmmm, underwear and food in the same drawer... remind me to never go to GA's house for lunch.

:rolf: XO XD XP

My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Well, after a certain point the proliferation of subforums just results in difficult navigation. While people familiar with the site may find it useful (I don't know, I'm not one of them) I'm inclined to think the proliferation of (largely meaningless) choices will just confuse newcomers and end up causing a lot of trouble for little benefit.

Personally, I browse from the front page (or one of the "recent activity" searches), so I don't pay any attention at all to the subforums, but keeping the divisions down to a minimum reduces confusion and prevents irritating fragmentation.

Tags
mer, ubuntu