Hi,

I have an N900 which is well out of warranty at this stage. It has developed signal problems in the last week or so and I have identified that the problems are being caused by a bad aerial connection. I know this as I'm using NetMon to measure signal strength. This can jump from -96db on 2G to a reasonable signal on 3G, just by pressing the top right corner of the screen tight (which feels loose).

Where exactly is the aerial on the N900? Is is on the screen part? I'm hoping that the connection from the screen to the main board is loose, as it came loose before and was causing display issues, this was very easy to fix.

Any experts around?

James

Last edited by muxer107; 2011-11-24 at 18:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to muxer107 For This Useful Post:
From the legend that bought you the injection drivers...

To get to it you need to open up the WHOLE N900. It is fairly easy though. It is only 6 phillips screws and 2 T5 torx screws. The antenna has a 'spring leaf' on it that presses against a pad on the main PCB, just bend it out a bit.

While you are in there you can quickly solder your USB port down as well so it can never break. Search for the the USB thread by the TMO supe legend dr_frost_dk.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
I'm glad your reference has matched my diagnosis. At least it could well be a simple bad connection. Have you heard of this before?

Thanks for the quick reply.

James

No never. However there is always a first time for everything!

PROBLEM SOLVED, AND BETTER SIGNAL THAN EVER!

I thought I'd take the time to write this down in detail.

Right, my N900 was stolen about three months ago and this one is actually a replacement I've gotten from Ebay.

It has been fine up until this week, probably just a knock that made it worse, here's how:

In the picture below, where screw one is located, is where I had found pressing the screen was making it better. I turned the phone over to open it up, and the screw was actually MISSING. I removed screw two (I don't have a replacement) and placed it in screw ones' slot. Not only do I now have full reception, but I'm getting 3.5G in places where I could only get 2G. I'm assuming screw one actually holds the antenna together internally, and without this the antenna was bobbing about, causing the random reception problems.

Thanks guys!

James

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to muxer107 For This Useful Post:
Amazing! One screw can change everything. Interesting solution for more or less usual problem.
  3. Nokia 6110 Navigator (Black)
  4. Nokia N900
  5. Sony Xperia Z1
  6. Nokia 8

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Just checked my screws...
All there
looks like you can actualy fix stuff by screwing up!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
looks like you can actualy fix stuff by screwing up!
That should be marked as NSFC (Not Safe For Commuting) - causes real "laugh of loud", that is quite hard to explain to fellow passengers

---

Thanks for sharing info with us - very interesting. Also, do You know that N900 got internally ready-to-use micro-sockets for external antenna connecting? Preparing output for them into modified mugen-cover is on my (quite long) list for things that I should do one day

Using that, one can boost cellular and wifi. We already got antenna for bluetooth (it's same module as FM receiver, so connecting correct wavelength antenna into headphones jack = external antenna for bluetooth), so only thing remaining is FMTX. I wonder, how hard it would be to solder another micro-socket for it's external antenna

/Estel

// Edit
As for bluetooth, it's pity, that we haven't got any sniffing software. Tests performed long time ago proved, that hardware sold at high $$$ "for hacking" is just matter of firmware included - transmitted correctly to 5$ generic consumer bluetooth dongle, it worked exactly as it should. Maybe one day, someone will create such thing, like our wifi injection
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
"As for bluetooth, it's pity, that we haven't got any sniffing software."

Someone made an app for eavesdropping, listening on others bluetooth headset devices. Not sure if that's what you meant.

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
"As for bluetooth, it's pity, that we haven't got any sniffing software."

Someone made an app for eavesdropping, listening on others bluetooth headset devices. Not sure if that's what you meant.
Can I have the name of this app please? For educational purposes of course. I played with this stuff on a laptop with a bluetooth dongle before and it was quite interesting.