Notices

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Italia
Hello everybody,

it is almost an year that I own my N900 and during this time I have installed a lot of useful tools that essentially permit to associate the pressing of an edge key to a specific action; among others we have:

tweakr, configurable from the N900 settings, controls the action of the power key (single click, double click, hold).
shortcutd, configurable from the N900 settings, controls the action of the camera key (short half-press, long-halfpress) and proximity sensor (short, long).
savepress, configurable through a specific GUI, controls the action of the slider key (when held for a configurable time).
extended-locked-media-control, non configurable, controls the mediaplayer (prevoius/next, pause/play) through the camera keys when the device is locked.

most of these programs have additional features such as sound-profiles, desktop-grids, and so on, but here I'm interested only on the actions related to the edge keys.

All the apps above rely on a daemon running in background, meaning that 4 daemon are running to trigger an action when one of these keys is pressed, 6 if we include the headphone-daemon and lens-cover-reminder (i'm not sure about the extended-locked-media-control that afaik is not even open source).

This situation appears to me very unefficient and overcomplicated to the end user. It would soooo great to rely on a single daemon with a single GUI for the configuration of the actions triggered by all the 4 side keys (volume,power,camera,slide). Such a solution would allow much more control (and much less confusion) for the end user.

What the community thinks? There are other tools that could fit in such a merge?
Developers of the software enumerated above, please give us a word!

Last edited by cipper; 2010-11-27 at 15:37.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to cipper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Italia
>150 reads and no comments?

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
You want a comment? Well, I'm not using any of those tweaks so I don't care.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
It's a good idea, but i'd recommend messaging the 4 authours
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I like the idea of combining the efforts and reducing the system load, i wish i could help....

Tweakr: Not a daemon (OK, its profile applet is "resident"). Besides the setting you talk of can be changed by editing mce.ini. (Used by MCE, a closed Nokia daemon)

savepress: Written in Python (the others are C or C++)

extended-locked-media-control: As you said, it's closed and its developer AWOL
Also, it links with media libraries like MAFW - bloat for those who don't need it in shortcutd?

I'm currently using tweakr, shortcutd, headphone-daemon and lens-cover-reminder and am very interested in the sound of extended-locked-media-control. If it was possible to combine each, or as many as possible of these tweaks together into a single package with a single configuration GUI I think it would be a great idea.

Perhaps an extension of dbus-scripts-setting?

This app allows many tweaks.

I think with "raw commands" all those tweaks are already feasible with dbus-scripts-setting.
An extension could provide more specific modules for all those tweaks and specific commands as responses for the triggers.

Also the "Action manager" could be a candidate for the integration of all those tweaks. But this needs more extentions.

Perhaps the authors of "dbus-scripts-setting" and "action-manager" should sit together to integrate both apps to a big app for automated action tasks.

(Also "rds-notify" could be integrated in those automated triggered tasks. And the whole big integrated application could appear as a part of the n900 standard settings.)

Tags
circle jerk