Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I think this one got queued in with the recent security update, but it won't install, it says:

Code:
Unpacking microb-engine-common-ext (from .../microb-engine-common-ext_20090612-49.2_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/microb-engine-common-ext_20090612-49.2_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/microb-engine/chrome/pippki/content/pippki/device_manager.xul', which is also in package microb-engine-common
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/microb-engine-common-ext_20090612-49.2_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
(i trimmed to just the interesting lines)

What should i do?

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
I think this one got queued in with the recent security update, but it won't install, it says:

Code:
Unpacking microb-engine-common-ext (from .../microb-engine-common-ext_20090612-49.2_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/microb-engine-common-ext_20090612-49.2_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/microb-engine/chrome/pippki/content/pippki/device_manager.xul', which is also in package microb-engine-common
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/microb-engine-common-ext_20090612-49.2_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
(i trimmed to just the interesting lines)

What should i do?
Hi bro, you just can do this on xterm

become Root first typing "sudo gainroot" or typing "root" then press enter

Now, you can follow 2 ways to fix the problem. First of all i want to explain you becouse of this kind of error... When you install a package, the system creates a packagename.list file too in the /var/lib/dpkg/info path... The list file contains all the package elements and their allocation path... In this case, you have 2 files with the same line, both have /usr/share/microb-engine/chrome/pippki/content/pippki/device_manager.xul line, and the dpkg structure is confused. It tries to install one package that contains a file in another package too, but packages are different and you should have both. Dpkg then still get confused and stop all the unpacking process telling you "hey bro, warning you have this /usr/share/microb-engine/chrome/pippki/content/pippki/device_manager.xul in another package called microb-engine-common-ext.. Do something couse i don't want troubles.." this is a security warnig, without this kind of feature every packages can move, overwrite and delete other packages files

You can

1) edit the packagename.list file with a text editor..

OR

2) delete the list file, uninstall and reinstall the package again after packaged it by your self or someone else..

Try in this way first when you are root

Code:
apt-get install leafpad && dpkg --configure -a && apt-get -f install && leafpad /var/lib/dpkg/info/microb-engine-common.list
find and delete the line "/usr/share/microb-engine/chrome/pippki/content/pippki/device_manager.xul" press CTRL+S to overwrite the file but save it in a new location like MyDocs for example. Now, from xterminal again type
Code:
apt-get remove microb-engine-common microb-engine-common-ext && apt-get install --reinstall microb-engine-common && cp -r /home/user/MyDocs/microb-engine-common.list /var/lib/dpkg/info/ && apt-get install microb-engine-common-ext && apt-get -f install && dpkg --configure -a && apt-get clean && apt-get autoclean && reboot
i hope this will fix your problem
if you have more problems i'm here

Last edited by santiago; 2011-11-11 at 07:07.