Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Would there be a way to make it ignore the versions conflicts so the mp thing stays even if hildon-initscripts and stuff gets updated?

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Would there be a way to make it ignore the versions conflicts so the mp thing stays even if hildon-initscripts and stuff gets updated?
Create your own mp-fremantle-generic-pr modified deb which isn't so strict about version numbers of hildon-initscripts.

As was stated previously, not having the mp-fremantle-pr package only matters to firmware update notifications in HAM. You can still apt-get dist-upgrade. Somehow on 1.0 I did something to lose the metapackage and ended up doing a dist-upgrade to get PR1.1. Some time after that I figured out why I no longer got Maemo updates in HAM and reinstalled it, thus allowing me to use HAM to update to PR1.2 and PR1.3.

You reinstall it with apt-get, of course. I just did a couple of minutes ago after removing the wrong package (confused libqmf and libqtm..oops) caused apt-get to also remove the metapackage. Things like that don't become necessary if you pay attention to what you're doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to wierdo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
please, what means HAM?
thank you

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by maemo.it View Post
please, what means HAM?
thank you
HAM is Hildon Application Manager, the default App Manager.
FAM, or fapman, is the Faster Application Manager, program from extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
As Wikiwide says, only by creating your own mp-fremantle-pr package. What's generally been done so far (with modified hildon-desktop, etc) is to keep the new package versions the same, and then pin them (via /etc/apt/preferences) to prevent them being replaced with the standard versions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
I want to install mp-fremantle-generic-pr in order to update the 1.2 firmware to 1.3 without the need of flashing and reinstalling all the apps and connecting to the pc ( Is it true? or I will have to connect to my pc or will need to reinstall all the apps).
When I run "apt-get install mp-fremantle-generic-pr" I get this:
skype-ui-l10n-itit skype-ui-l10n-nlnl skype-ui-l10n-nono skype-ui-l10n-plpl
skype-ui-l10n-ptpt skype-ui-l10n-ruru skype-ui-l10n-svse sqlite3
status-area-applet-activesync-0 tablet-bookmark-manager
tablet-browser-controls tablet-browser-daemon tablet-browser-dialogs
tablet-browser-ui tablet-browser-view tablet-browser-widgets
telepathy-gabble telepathy-ring telepathy-sofiasip telepathy-spirit
telepathy-stream-engine testserver tracker tracker-utils
987 upgraded, 22 newly installed, 0 to remove and 22 not upgraded.
Need to get 71.1MB of archives.
After this operation, 27.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Is it ok to upgrade the 987 packages or it will cause dependencies problems?

Please answer, it's really important to me!

Last edited by pingu; 2011-01-14 at 19:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
I want to install mp-fremantle-generic-pr in order to update the 1.2 firmware to 1.3 without the need of flashing and reinstalling all the apps and connecting to the pc ( Is it true? or I will have to connect to my pc or will need to reinstall all the apps).

Yes, it's okay to upgrade - that's the full PR1.3 update that it'll be installing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post

Yes, it's ok to upgrade everything at once.

Just make sure you:
1. don't lose Internet connection while updating;
2. don't discharge the battery to zero while updating.

Even if the update is interrupted, everything will most likely be ok. But I don't recommend testing that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
And make sure you have enough space. Did the APT cache location get moved to eMMC at some point? I know in PR1.0 and 1.1 it was on the 256MB partition, so would fill up if you tried to do a dist-upgrade.

I don't know if it changed in a newer PR because I moved mine to do the upgrade to 1.1. Even without doing that it's possible to do the upgrade in stages so long as your phone keeps running and you don't accidentally close the terminal you're working in. Takes a lot of typing, though, since you have to 'apt-get install' 20 packages or so, do 'apt-get clean' and then install another set until you've got 'em all installed.

If the update fails, you might have to reflash the phone, but that's the worst likely outcome. (it might be possible to kill the phone entirely if it craps out at the absolute most inopportune time possible, but the that window is very short, and even then a failed kernel flash shouldn't permanently brick the phone)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wierdo For This Useful Post: