Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Considering the first flash 10.1 demo was on an n900, this is freakin' *****ic...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If true, and I have no reason to doubt qole... I'll be waiting for the next Nokia product indeed.
Not really going to help much.

Hate to be Debbie Downer.. but it always seems Nokia comes out with a device - "HAS FLASH!" - couple months later flash updates and device never gets it (N810?).

So even if you wait till next device you'll get flash 10 right when Flash 11 is going to be the new hot thing .

Just saying ....
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by slender View Post
hey look we got flash we got flash.....except that its old and laggy on numerous video pages (vimeo for example). Another joke.
As much as you would like to complain, the implementation of flash for viewing web pages with flash navigation it is very adequate even now, but for watching video an update is definitely needed. No other six month old device is offering the full browsing capability that the N900 offers and until the next generation of Android hits there won't be one. Troll the N900 for a lot of other things, for browsing the full web and rendering 'real' web pages there is no comparison.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Not really going to help much.
I agree. But sadly, I've gone from being able to show almost all of my Adobe Flex/Flash work on something that fit into my pocket (my N810 in this case) to now I can't reliably say the same. Having that ability to use a full-blown Flash player and not have it slower than the desktop and/or laptop but in a smaller form factor has been the true #1 reason I've held back on my purchase.

Simply put... the Nokia Internet Tablets helped my profession during presentation and testing. I can no longer say that if I publish to Flash Player 10.

Hate to be Debbie Downer.. but it always seems Nokia comes out with a device - "HAS FLASH!" - couple months later flash updates and device never gets it (N810?).
Yeah... horrible cycle. It'll be dismissed that Nokia isn't in control of this though since it's Adobe Flash we're talking about.

So even if you wait till next device you'll get flash 10 right when Flash 11 is going to be the new hot thing
No disagreement there. I just want a free way to upgrade my FP on my tablet of choice like I would on my desktop. Apparently, the incentive to do so just isn't there.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-05-05 at 06:17.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
We have no reason to doubt Qole, but I'll poke my inside sources at Adobe to try to get the real reason for cancelation. The last info I had is that they've ironed out most of the issues for platforms they've announced to support 10.1 (and Maemo 5 on N900 was one of them) and that they are having serious problems for getting around Androids' structural limitations (Dalvik mostly) so that the focus is on Android and once they bring it to an acceptable state 10.1 should be available for the rest as well.

If that's true, and I have no reason to doubt my sources any more than Qole, this is then a pure business decission, and a bad one at that. After all, if the Harmattan device is to support 10.1, and if it's true that it will sport pretty much the same base HW, the Flash Player would be essentially the same as for the N900. And I highly doubt that both, Nokia and Adobe, would like to see Harmattan/MeeGo not supporting the 10.1.

Either way, I'll try to get the info which side pulled the plug, Adobe or Nokia, as we should know who should get a 'jerk' label for disappointing their loyal users/supporters for some loose marketing gain. Of course, there is a distant possibility that there is a serious problem for utilizing the OMAP3430 and that it's not a business decission after all, in which case we should forget 10.1 support for the Harmattan device as well. But either way, that shouldn't stop Adobe releasing the non-HW-accelerated player - the advances on the NanoJIT between Flash 9 and Flash 10 alone are enough to give a reason to update.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Considering the first flash 10.1 demo was on an n900, this is freakin' *****ic...
Yea...

5th October 2009 presentation of the Flash 10.1 on N900. They HAD to have this installed, prepared compiled whatever. Even as Alpha with cooperation with developers from both sides. After half and year Adobe keep telling us that will be for many devices, but Nokia in another interview - not planed. What not planed? The only thing planed was to use Adobe to promote N900 this way?

If Nokia doing this intentionally because of business or market decisions and drop this idea I can't find the logical explanation here really.

Especialy when here On the bottom of the page I see 2 logotypes.

I don't know, there is too much information noise around at the moment don't get crazy of that. Just keep our patience a little bit yet.

Edit:
Otherwise the last application I am gonna install will be n900Fly and guess what

Last edited by devu; 2010-05-05 at 06:56.

Oh, well. Now I'm really hoping html5 will catch up and make flash useless.
Still if this is true, I'm seriously dissappointed.

But well the true hacking begins when the support ends

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
We have no reason to doubt Qole, but I'll poke my inside sources at Adobe to try to get the real reason for cancelation. The last info I had is that they've ironed out most of the issues for platforms they've announced to support 10.1 (and Maemo 5 on N900 was one of them) and that they are having serious problems for getting around Androids' structural limitations (Dalvik mostly) so that the focus is on Android and once they bring it to an acceptable state 10.1 should be available for the rest as well.

If that's true, and I have no reason to doubt my sources any more than Qole, this is then a pure business decission, and a bad one at that. After all, if the Harmattan device is to support 10.1, and if it's true that it will sport pretty much the same base HW, the Flash Player would be essentially the same as for the N900. And I highly doubt that both, Nokia and Adobe, would like to see Harmattan/MeeGo not supporting the 10.1.

Either way, I'll try to get the info which side pulled the plug, Adobe or Nokia, as we should know who should get a 'jerk' label for disappointing their loyal users/supporters for some loose marketing gain. Of course, there is a distant possibility that there is a serious problem for utilizing the OMAP3430 and that it's not a business decission after all, in which case we should forget 10.1 support for the Harmattan device as well. But either way, that shouldn't stop Adobe releasing the non-HW-accelerated player - the advances on the NanoJIT between Flash 9 and Flash 10 alone are enough to give a reason to update.
Droid uses the 3430 and has already been shown by Adobe with 10.1. Droid is confimed to be getting Flash 10.1 with Android 2.2 in just a few months. 3430 would not be the issue. Especially since Adobe mentions the 3430 and 8250 as the current chipsets supported.

Too many Droid's out there to not have it. I think it is a market issue and Maemo is not part of their plans, unless Nokia wants to flip the bill for dev work on it. I figured something was up, since I have read zero information from the Adobe 10.1 mobile team about Nokia or Maemo. Only Android and WP7.

Given Nokia's less than great support of Maemo and the N900, I would not be waiting for 10.1. Perhaps we will see Flash Lite 4 (10.1 lite version), but that version actually has LESS function than Flash Lite 3.1. You also can not launch Flash content like you can with the N900 full version. testing on Incredible right now and a lot more video and game content works with full 9.4. Flash Lite 4 does not even play games (3.1 has no problem).

I know there are a lot of unrequitted Nokia lovers here, but it seems Nokia screwed the N900 up in regards to software and support. Wicked stepchild-like neglect.

Were it not for the dedicated community that resides here, N900 would be a device only tech-coders could love.

Ironic that my Droid and Incredible will have better Flash support than the N900, that Adobe started their main tests of 10.1 on in the first place. Especially Droid, since same chipset.

Bratag is a level headed bloke, so if he is being critical too, watch out! I agree. Given Nokia's track-record. Why buy another device from them? If N900 is not getting 10.1, I will not even bother updating to 1.2 OC. Media plays fine and MAME plays great. I stopped using the N900 as a phone months ago. On verizon now, anyways. Droid and Incredible in a duel ATM.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-05-05 at 16:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If true, and I have no reason to doubt qole... I'll be waiting for the next Nokia product indeed.
As much as I like the N900 - if thats true then I simply will never buy another Nokia product as long as I live. I have become increasingly disheartened with the way that Nokia has supported this device and the complete lack of information provided.

It's no damn way to run a company, especially when they are making such a big deal of the openness of Meego and at the same time alienating the community that is such a big part of that openness.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Why in a few months.....? in a few months 11 will come out

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update