Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
go to ovi store via your n900 it clearly says BETA.
its not the software on there whats the problem its the QA process of the maemo beta store
Oh, my bad. You are saying once the service is out of beta for the N900 all the submitted apps will become magically optified and the world will be as one.

When do you imagine that happening?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Oh, my bad. You are saying once the service is out of beta for the N900 all the submitted apps will become magically optified and the world will be as one.

When do you imagine that happening?
i'm not saying that at all
talk about trying to put words in my mouth just b/c i proved it was a beta and you was wrong, so now you move on to something else to try and win a argument that never was.
no wonder lot of people complain about you old guys trying to make newbies look stupid.
its still early and theres no documentation as of yet for publishing in ovi store for maemo, so the developers cant be blamed for it. once the store for maemo is little more mature and guidelines are in place then we will see optifying become a standard requirement.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
i'm not saying that at all
talk about trying to put words in my mouth just b/c i proved it was a beta and you was wrong, so now you move on to something else to try and win a argument that never was.
no wonder lot of people complain about you old guys trying to make newbies look stupid.
its still early and theres no documentation as of yet for publishing in ovi store for maemo, so the developers cant be blamed for it. once the store for maemo is little more mature and guidelines are in place then we will see optifying become a standard requirement.
Wow!
I have never seen a complaint about older members trying to make anyone look stupid.

Rather I have seen plenty of complaints about cryptic one line posts like this...

Originally Posted by NvyUs
If you Don't know what the Word beta means dont use the service.
... that appear to dismiss 2 pages of discussion as just a bunch of people not understanding what a word means...

Now you want me to move on after making a baseless statement about complaints against old dude's. Well, on behalf of old dudes everywhere I respectfully decline your invitation.

You are right, apparently the only way you will see the word BETA on the OVI site is when you access it from an N900. If on the other hand, you access it from your desktop browser you wont see BETA, even when you identify the N900 as your device.

However, if my response made you feel stupid or; you were attempting to make everyone else look stupid for simply not understanding the meaning of a word, is all besides the point.

The point that I had hoped was being developed in this thread was:

Nokia's Maemo team communicated the need to optify applications to maemo.org months ago. As a result, maemo.org has made extraordinary efforts to communicate this need to both developers and members alike. A QA methodology has been developed and installed within maemo.org that although may not be perfect, certainly is robust and addresses the concearns expressed by Nokia's Maemo team.

I don't know for a fact if there is no documentation yet for publishing in OVI store. Even if there isn't, I doubt you think any old app should be pushed by OVI.

The question posed by the OP was "Who manages the Ovi Store?". The body of the original post questioned the quality of the applications that were found there. The quality of the products a store sells is one of the things that is managed.

Now on the face of it, it appears as if either the Nokia Maemo team did not communicate with the Nokia OVI team about the need for optification or,
the Nokia OVI team didn't take what was said as seriously, and with the same sense of urgency as maemo.org did.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Like the title says.
Alot of the apps in Ovi store are either non optified ,Wikisuvival ect, or have dual library dependancies. Then theres the MMS pictures for sale and music that cannot be played.
So many of these "Apps" would not even make it through the extras QA.
Surely someone should be moderating this store.
In some respects its worse for end users to download from there than from Extras-Dev.
What are the apps not meeting quality standards? Do you mind listing them at http://wiki.maemo.org/Ovi_Store_publishing with the problems you are finding?

This wiki page needs update but it's the one and only that I have been pushing to the Ovi team directly.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Cheers Qgil have started updating the questions on the wiki. Can everyone else update their experiences of the Ovi store there. hopefully they might read it.

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post: