Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
I'm not telling anyone how to use their N900, it's just funny, like someone buying a Caparo T1 and using it to get groceries.
Hmm... Caparo T1... the smell of hot groceries...

I sold high performance cars and motorbikes for over 10 years - that type of ownership is more common than you'd imagine.

Seriously, we have to accept that N900's are in the hands of mainstream users. That has good and not-so-good implications.

No time to search right now, but do we have any data on User vs Developer status N900 owners? Might be quite enlightening.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Esbjerg - Denmark
Originally Posted by cortina61 View Post
@ cashclientel
lol, I dont drive a Cortina anymore, but it will always be the one I loved the most, a bit like my N95 really!
I have just put 14" wheels on my N900 and use wiimote to drive it with ;-) The only problem i have so far is it cant run that far becouse it runs out of battery.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
@ daffydk
have you had your meds today? ; )

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Rochdale UK
Cortina by any chance

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Today I met my first fellow N900 owner at work. I did not know the guy but noticed him using it at lunch.
I sat down next to him and commented how awesome the phone was to which he agreed. It was only when I asked him what he did with it / Apps and mods he had on it that the full horror hit home.

Just phonecalls and txt bit of browsing not really downloaded much was his reply. This guy has had the phone over 4 months and had not even updated to PR 1 let alone 1.1.

He had never opened the terminal and was amazed when I went into app manager and enabled Extras repo.

Suppose I might have a look was his reply

Angered I promptly bookmarked this forum and ordered him to read and repent for leaving the device in such a state.

Anyone else had such an encounter??
Spent the whole day unborking Macafee's monumental cock up today (see news) and this put a smail on my face thanks fer chearing me up

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I used to feel the same way a few years ago when I would come across an N95 user who had no idea what their phone was capable of as far as added apps etc. Then I came to realize that it doesn't really matter as long as the users needs are met (mms, voice dial, etc)
The N900 on the other hand I would really only recommend to an advanced user, its not a good basic phone but definitely one of the best MID's on the market. If your use case is mobile phone there is definitely a better choice.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
If not for the Terminal, root access, and freedom to expand on... pretty much everything..... why would anyone choose (especially if they had to pay as much as us U.S. people for it) the N900 over any other phone? Be it the Android or the iPhone?

If your primary focus is making and receiving phone calls and texting.... the N900 lacks some of the normal features like making your own/different ringtones for each contact (unless this was added in a PR), no voice dialing and things of that nature.

IF you don't do much with your N900 - Why did you choose it over the plethora of other devices on the market? What made it stand out for you?
I had a 6210 navigator that was just looking shabby. I tried an X6 but found it slow, buggy and the cap. screen failed in week 2. Probably just bad luck.

Research highlighted that Symbian would be replaced soon and that Maemo 5 / Meego was probably the future for top-end smartphones. I figured that being in at the start of the new was better than being in at the end of the old.

Braced for the well-reported issues and shortcomings, I have found N900 engaging, enjoyable and entirely practical. My N900 has been stable, I can do all the really useful things other phones can do and it is a joy to use.

I looked at iphone (too simplistic and lacked features), found Android and WM either like Symbian with knobs on or just plain boring.

I don't miss voice control - never found it that effective. I missed speed dial and other phone functionality at first, but contacts on the screen are way better once you've set them up. I do miss Symbian Ovi Maps, but I have satnav in the car anyway.

I continue to be in bewhildred awe of those who can write code and create these apps and being close to that is part of the N900 experience for me.

Never have I owned a device that is so engaging or controversial. It does things in a very different way, but my wife bought an N97 Mini last week and although it's great, there's no way I'd swap my N900 for Nokia's other Flagship Model...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by telnet View Post
Spent the whole day unborking Macafee's monumental cock up today (see news) and this put a smail on my face thanks fer chearing me up
I guess it seemed a good idea to delete svchost at the time. I still cant believe they are employing a self help rollout.
As for my OP it is a bit tongue in cheek but like many have said there are far easier ,and better in some cases, phones that make calls and send txts for cheaper.
But like many have commented it is a mostly free world out there and each to their own but its still a damn shame. I will check in tommorow with him to see how he is getting along. You never know it could have been the nudge he needed on his way to complete Karma.
And to the poster that said he would punch someone in the face for making such a suggestion lighten up and smell the free world.

Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Research highlighted that Symbian would be replaced soon and that Maemo 5 / Meego was probably the future for top-end smartphones. I figured that being in at the start of the new was better than being in at the end of the old.

Braced for the well-reported issues and shortcomings, I have found N900 engaging, enjoyable and entirely practical. My N900 has been stable, I can do all the really useful things other phones can do and it is a joy to use.

I looked at iphone (too simplistic and lacked features), found Android and WM either like Symbian with knobs on or just plain boring.
I continue to be in bewhildred awe of those who can write code and create these apps and being close to that is part of the N900 experience for me.

Never have I owned a device that is so engaging or controversial. It does things in a very different way, but my wife bought an N97 Mini last week and although it's great, there's no way I'd swap my N900 for Nokia's other Flagship Model...
Thank you for your response. Had a few notes though, regarding the bold.

Really? That's news to me actually, I was under the impression Nokia was still going to maintain symbian for it's high-end "smart" phone; and Maemo/MeeGo were just meant for their new "Tablet" that moonlights as a phone systems. Take this article for example. So I am surprised if Symbian is to be replaced..

Also, regarding the engaging experience of the phone and being close to the developers in this community as they do amazing things with it: That is what I meant that makes this phone stand out and worth the money. Not necessarily that you yourself can get into and get your elbow's greasy; but like for example fMMS: iPhone users suffered 2 years for MMS support... N900 users had a working devel model within 2 months.

But, for a person like in the OP; who never comes to this site or rarely checks in here, and who never installs many of those "above and beyond" apps in the Extras repository - what really does the N900 offer them that makes it a viable choice?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I am legitimately curious here...

If your primary focus is making and receiving phone calls and texting.... the N900 lacks some of the normal features like making your own/different ringtones for each contact (unless this was added in a PR), no voice dialing and things of that nature.
a million billion years ago before i had my nokia devices, my missus would text me.
i would pull this phone out of my pocket and try to text her back.
i couldn't see the conversation, there was no context and there were only 12 buttons.
she once got a text from me saying something along the lines of
"i am on the dialderum home in 20"
she squinted and strained and tried to work out what i'd written and it pretty much summed up my experience with SMS

now, with the n900 i can have fluent conversations typed using a format i'm used to and readable as any irc conversation.
the n900 connected us in a way no other device has.

i don't blame the guy for getting an n900 if he has one similar experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post: