Notices

Well, I'd love to have the music too as the Doom music simply rocks.

What's broken? I haven't even tried the Duke Nukem 3D port in devel but it seems to be at least trying to play the music with timidity judging from the timidity package that is part of it. :P

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by slux View Post
Well, I'd love to have the music too as the Doom music simply rocks.

What's broken? I haven't even tried the Duke Nukem 3D port in devel but it seems to be at least trying to play the music with timidity judging from the timidity package that is part of it. :P
Yeah i agree about the music, but i had to disable the SDL mixer to get it to compile, and that pretty much does away with music. I read something somewhere in the tracker that led me to believe it's a fundamental problem with prboom, but i can revisit it.

One reason i didn't pursue it before is that the recommended timidity patches are larger than the game and wad put together, so it seemed a rather excessive.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The app is great!

I've only had a couple of issues with it thus far:

On the setup screen where wads initialized can be specified, I can't type in numbers, only letters. (this is an issue, as a couple of the wad files contain numbers, although I suppose I could just rename them)

The other is that for some reason the original (commercial) doom.wad (first game) doesn't seem to run very well. I get tons of artifacting. Is there an easy fix for this?

The Following User Says Thank You to vdubbs85 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vdubbs85 View Post
On the setup screen where wads initialized can be specified, I can't type in numbers, only letters. (this is an issue, as a couple of the wad files contain numbers, although I suppose I could just rename them)
That's a good point. A direct fix may not be worth the effort compared to an alternative or file selector widget. Noted...

The other is that for some reason the original (commercial) doom.wad (first game) doesn't seem to run very well. I get tons of artifacting. Is there an easy fix for this?
That's very strange considering the shareware doom.wad works fine. The freedoom doom2.wad does, too. Have you played using the shareware wad and had no trouble? The only thing i can think of to suggest is that you leave only that wad and prboom.wad in the wad directory in case it's doing some weird double-loading.

Edit: Is it the final release version of the wad?

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-20 at 22:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
That's a good point. A direct fix may not be worth the effort compared to an alternative or file selector widget. Noted...

That's very strange considering the shareware doom.wad works fine. The freedoom doom2.wad does, too. Have you played using the shareware wad and had no trouble? The only thing i can think of to suggest is that you leave only that wad and prboom.wad in the wad directory in case it's doing some weird double-loading.

Edit: Is it the final release version of the wad?
I'm not sure exactly which version it is, but I've used it with Rockdoom which is based on PrBoom, and it worked without issue.

I removed all other wads from the folder except prboom.wad and doom.wad, and it worked!! Not sure why it would have been double loading, but it fixed the issue.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
The keyboard layout is changed with a call to gconf-2. Can you change locales with setxkbmap? The present method is a nasty hack to get around Nokia's nasty design decision and nobody has suggested "the right way" to deal with it, in spite of my bug report on the matter. I'm open to ideas for improvement and would also welcome popular support @ the bug report to encourage the devs to prepare a direct solution for this ongoing problem.
You can detect the currently choosen x-sytem-keymap with the call setxkbmap -print. I hope that helps you.

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Does prboom have support for mp3 music? I know that some doom engines have.

I've found some kind of mp3s from these sites:
http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/
http://www.kinkiness.de/download.html

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Downloaded it and it works great. I actually was pulled in and finished 4 levels LOL..so i have to say, good job and thanks!

Will Doom2 work too?

Yes, all the Dooms before Doom 3 are supported by PrBoom. Doom, Doom II, Ultimate Doom, etc. It's all a matter of the wad file.

has anyone tried this setting for movement in doom?

Q W E
A S D

Q-LEFT, W-UP, E-RIGHT
A-LEFT, S-DOWN, D-RIGHT

I just wanna know what someone thinks about this settings beside myself...I'm getting the n900 soon, but since it lacks a D-pad I might abandon buying the phone all together. Just wanna know how this settings feel whilst playing doom to determine how fluid gameplay would be on this phone. Partly because i saw some one on youtube playing prdoom and had to pause or stop at times to shoot enemies leading him to have a very quick death. Simply put i want a good gaming experience on this device and not a 'gamelike' experience...lol

Tags
arcade, doom, fps, fremantle, game, id software, maemo 5, prboom, shooter, wad