Active Topics

Poll: What is the leaked PR1.2 RC?
Poll Options
What is the leaked PR1.2 RC?

Closed Thread
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Could anybody use Personal Messages for irrelevant posts?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I am old school and i use old shool wording for many things i am NOT a Linux developer or coder but there again i dont have to be to realise just what a complete mess Nokia made even allowing this N900 to be released because if they had only known the consquences i doubt they would have released it.
Yes i do realise the OS is in fact the rootfs but i also assumed you lot realised this and yes the complete OS means exactly that in your wording the rootfs, i said for a very good reason and that reason was it is for sure being re-programmed during installs of proggs from this community but there again i honestly thought you lot would not be so exacting and just realise what i was saying.

WHY I DOWNGRADED TO 1.1.1

• We don't know if the leaked version does anything malicious, which could on a timer. Calling 1-900 numbers seems to be popular with cellphones, but then there's the general risk of getting your passwords and credit card information stolen
  • Files on the leaked copy are clearly old
  • Release of 1.2 may be imminent. Ari Jaaksi said he is running a release candidate on his phone. If 1.2 doesn't come out by mid-June and nothing bad has happened to people using the leaked copy I will consider reinstalling.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I thought ysss was a professional life maximizer.
Professional troll hunter, at your service!
I try to renice them so they don't take up all of the forum's processing power
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This community seems to be so self centred to its own cause that it even refuses to see anyone elses points but its own (that means the hard and fast moderators and there friends).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I'm very glad that you aren't having any issues with your N900, but there are a lot more threads saying "My N900 is bricked" than "My N900 is now better"
Could you point me to a "My N900 is bricked" thread? I have seen threads with people in reboot loops, but of course I've seen many more reboot loop threads involving 100% legitimate builds over the years.

I've seen threads in which people couldn't go back to the legitimate build, but all of them I've seen so far wound up ok.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I am old school and i use old shool wording for many things i am NOT a Linux developer or coder but there again i dont have to be to realise just what a complete mess Nokia made even allowing this N900 to be released because if they had only known the consquences i doubt they would have released it.
Yes i do realise the OS is in fact the rootfs but i also assumed you lot realised this and yes the complete OS means exactly that in your wording the rootfs, i said for a very good reason and that reason was it is for sure being re-programmed during installs of proggs from this community but there again i honestly thought you lot would not be so exacting and just realise what i was saying.
Here's the problem. Now that we've gotten to the point you're listening.

Firstly: When someone makes an massive over-generalization such as "EVERY" developer is "playing with fire" by manipulating the BOOT SECTOR. This is very very bad, and implies something significantly worse than what you meant. It also makes anybody with a clue read your post and default you to "Idiot doesn't know what he's talking about" instead of actually trying to piece together the half-truth of what you're saying.

Secondly: Filling up the Root Filesystem is recoverable without a reflash if you have root! Should I say that again? No.. just read it a couple times for me. That's right; even if I run a simple dd if=/dev/zero of=/myimg nonstop until I completely fill up the root filesystem I can actually recover from that without ever reflashing the device! This is in NO WAY more dangerous than actually flashing new firmware! That actually does manipulate things such as the boot sector! This is why if you're going to install anything from Devel my recommendation is your first app be rootsh!

Thirdly: When you realize what you said != what you meant to say: CORRECT YOURSELF; don't continuously argue with several long standing members that have been dealing with this stuff every day as both a job and a hobby using the same wrong language. You'll get no where but look silly.

Now, I'm glad PR1.2 works for you. I'm glad that, for the most part, this firmware release is harmless. That still doesn't mean we should be advocating that everyone under the sun flash any and every possible firmware that gets posted on these forums. That is simply bad practice, and trying to "down" play the risks everyone took does nobody any good and could very well get someone a $500 actual brick that is completely irrecoverable.

Just look at the warnings on the non-proprietary meego:
The closed image contains the following proprietary components

* Battery Management Entity (BME), without this you may cause damage to your battery.
Yes, you can actually completely damage your device by using unofficial, untested firmware!
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-05-03 at 15:50.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
In all of this trolling nonsense, does anyone know whether portrait mode has been enabled for the stock apps yet?

This community seems to be so self centred to its own cause that it even refuses to see anyone elses points but its own (that means the hard and fast moderators and there friends).
What's your point?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yet another absolute and ironic falsehood.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
chineesequality, fremantle, leaked pr1.2, maemo, maemo 5, n900, ranting, surreality