I don't believe in elitary group moderation, i think it is inherently flawed in every case. Instead, i believe in struggle. Things sort out themselves sooner or later. All i'd love to see is a Non-Thanks- / Dislike- / Thumb-down-Button. That would be proper moderation.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Of course I'll stick around. I'm not resigning the council.

Bummer's insults just made me realize I did err in moderating the PR1.2 thread and it's a big deal. I should have stopped the links, despite what happened previously.

I don't think you realize just how often Tex has to defend himself against extreme over-generalizations like this.
no i don't

but i share this kind of attitude Texrat, easy-going, make love not war all way down my grown-up life
wasn't my intention to upset u

just being fed up, yes

Last edited by bald.eagle.one; 2010-05-02 at 19:52.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post

Bummer's insults just made me realize I did err in moderating the PR1.2 thread and it's a big deal. I should have stopped the links, despite what happened previously.
I vehemently disagree. This is why I straight out asked in the thread "Is unreleased firmware illegal"... none of us are lawyers and none of us really knew the answer.

Until it was determined that it was in fact, illegal software (at least in some jurisdictions or countries) - then there was simply no need for moderation.

Once it was determined as such, the thread was locked and the offending posts (hopefully including my own, I went back and looked and don't see it) were deleted. I also ceased seeding the torrent.

You cannot be expected to know every possible legal ramification for every country. Bummer is just enjoying being a bit of a jerk.

Nokia, historically, didn't press charges or bring Reggie or iTT up on any charges or send any C&D letters that I am aware for leaked firmware. Therefore, in all the information available to you at the time - you made the right decision.

Despite what some "mightier-than-thou" people may want you to think.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Regardless I do think moderaters should follow Reggie's rules and guidelines. Since they unofficially represent him through moderation.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Seriously? Everyone makes mistakes. If we didn't have a long list of bug reports and impressions from the leaked version here, they would be written somewhere eles. And it's not like moderating this forum will make this different...
Nokia creates a lot of useless tension between the users and dev-team (with their upgrade policy), so it has to be unloaded somewhere. You just got to be "responsible" for the mess, which they can ignore by not providing a community place at all...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The thing is I had no moderator powers in that section and I should have escalated the issue rather than simply cautioning posters.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

Please reconsider. Don't let single error weigh too much. Losing as good and active moderator as you would be bigger loss to the forum than the minor harm that came from that thread.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Regardless I do think moderaters should follow Reggie's rules and guidelines. Since they unofficially represent him through moderation.
Yes, but that thread was not against any rules I've seen up and until it was determined the software illegal which is against Reggie's policies.

Mayhaps I misread something somewhere; but I really doubt there was any lapse of judgement here.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris
Personally, I thought you handled it reasonably well. You made it very clear that downloading the FW would be risky and even foolish.

Your point that there was already precedent and that its better to have a discussion where moderaters can provide suitable warnings was a defensible one. It was also in the early of hours of the morning for you. If it was an error it was an understandable one.

I am a very new member here but I appreciate the light touch and intelligent moderation. I hope that doesnt change even if you are no longer a mod.

Thanks for your efforts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeargDoom For This Useful Post:

Tags
complaints, moderation, policy