It is easier to crash the N900 compared to the N97. Probably they are restricting the volume thereby reducing customer complaints.

They may be using the N900 to test features that would be ported to the next Symbian^3 as they look similar

I owned an N97, back then it seemed like they'd invested about £4.50 in it.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
The N97 has been removed from my carrier (UK T mobile) altogether, as has the N97 mini which is being withdrawn and existing stock phased out. They have refused to get the N900 completely.

Me thinks that Nokia is in trouble if there current phones are anything to go by, half finished, poor quality. Given orange and T mobile are now the largest Uk carrier (or will be when the merge finishes) and neither really like the Nokia offerings. Having used the N97 and now stupidly buying an N900. (Which crashed again today, requiring me to remove the battery just to get a reboot. When all I did was plug it into the PC to copy files.) I can see why

The Following User Says Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Yeah no marketing in Germany too.
Everyone's is like : "It's the N97 or N97 mini you got ?"

There are very few reasons to heavily advertise a device you can sell as fast as you can produce. The N900 was never supposed to be manufactured in as large quantities as the N97, and you can't change that in a day.

Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
stupidly buying an N900. (Which crashed again today, requiring me to remove the battery just to get a reboot. When all I did was plug it into the PC to copy files.)
You are in the minority here. The N900 is the most stable phone I have ever owned.

And isn't Orange a carrier notorious for screwing with the firmware? No wonder they're withdrawing the N97 if their users are still stuck on an old version.

But yes, the original N97 made a serious dent in Nokia's reputation. If it had launched less buggy and with just a bit more RAM it would've been a major success. The RAM still puzzles me, because buggy software is a harder issue to change, and the cost savings from being able to run Symbian on older ARM processors should already have been major.

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
The N97 has been removed from my carrier (UK T mobile) altogether, as has the N97 mini which is being withdrawn and existing stock phased out. They have refused to get the N900 completely.
Ummm.. Am I imagining my n900 on UK TMobile 24 mth contract bought from Carphone Warehouse then????

Also, the n900 is clearly an "early adopters" device - Hence the step 4 out of 5 statement made by nokia so when you compare matketing for it with the marketing and support for the n97 you're not comparing like for like....

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
U know what? I don't need any advertiment to be proud of my N900 It is the best device I've ever had. Very stabile, and its open so everyday I find something new in Appl Mgr. I missed only mms servive but since we have fMms i don't miss anything. People say here about huge lack of video talk but I didnt use it even with my N95 hehe I like this computer very much and all I think about right now is new platform and maybe I will change it for Meego but I don't need Symbian anymore

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by white_ranger View Post
I live in Europe and in my country almost nobody have heard about N900. There's not even marketing at all. It's just in some magazines that describe it like "super surfer" and stuff like that. But when it comes to N97, whenever i go, i see a billboard with N97 on it. It even has a TV commercial. I understand that N97 is more for average user and N900 is more for geeks, but N900 is a lot better phone. They should invest more money in it.
Note that the N900 is more oriented towards online folks. I have seen plenty of N900 commercials, but *on sites* (mostly gadget/tech enthusiast) and not meatspace. They reckon if you need a billboard or a TV commercial to find out about the N900, then it's not for you and they reserve that role (for better or worse) to the N97. Harmattan is technically step 4.5 of 5 as it's mostly MeeGo in name and user interface, but not in lower-to-mid level architecture.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Thread title should have the words "seem to" and "advertise" in it because (1) it is a (admittedly likely) conjecture and (2) the examples given say nothing about Nokia's investment in the device itself, just its marketing.

I'd actually be much more interested in a thread that can have the title this one has and mean it, if it is actually the case and there are facts (e.g. numbers) being given to support it.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful