This will be my only "contribution" to this thread.. (it may/should have already been posted, but i haven't read the whole thing.)

PR1.3 has been said to be coming in no unclear terms by people inside nokia. I realize it's not an official announcement.. but typically companies don't look pleasing on it's employees putting egg on their face by speaking fallacies.

So I do expect a PR1.3 will come eventually.

I have 0 hope of anything beyond that, or that PR1.3 will bring anything significant beyond what we already have (excepting the Web API/qt mobility stuff if you care about that.)

The one link in the wiki about PR1.3 is not the only place I've seen it referenced, I'm just far too lazy to search through the history and find more.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
In MeeGo, closed blobs are: battery management, 3d accelerator libraries, bluetooth and wifi firmware. Accessible by plugging in your IMEI and accepting the usual 'no warranties' license.
Can you explain in detail how these blobs are going to be maintained for the n900? For instance, many think the tearing problem (vsync ?) is caused by some graphics drivers that n900 owners don't have the source to. Is there a policy or procedure in place to address issues for these binary blobs? If not, and no one paid by Nokia is going to fix this code, I bet some of us would have no problem signing an NDA to help fix hacker versions of these things if need be.

Look at what is happening here... was this forums so fragmented and were there so many complaints before?
let sleeping dogs lay....

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Dog is awake.

Bump.

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Can you explain in detail how these blobs are going to be maintained for the n900? For instance, many think the tearing problem (vsync ?) is caused by some graphics drivers that n900 owners don't have the source to. Is there a policy or procedure in place to address issues for these binary blobs? If not, and no one paid by Nokia is going to fix this code, I bet some of us would have no problem signing an NDA to help fix hacker versions of these things if need be.
If you're wondering about technicalities, we have a build target following the daily and weekly releases/major of MeeGo with the sources of the blobs. We're currently building so we get notified if the builds break as well as automatic publishing of the built blobs (coming this week, automatic images hopefully soon afterwards).

I'm personally these days testing the SGX drivers for inclusion, let's see if they work properly first.

In case of staffing, see my earlier reply.

We have the N900 as a reference device for MeeGo, hence images has to work and pass QA. That implies a high standard and a commitment to keep things working.

We have a very minimal set of binaries so it should be possible to maintain them.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Some misinformation there - Nokia employees (incl kernel developers) plus subcontractors are paid to work on MeeGo for N900 hardware adaptation. By MeeGo I mean meego.com, not Maemo 6.
Haha if we're going go with that then..

Technically we can already all run Meego on the N900. It just doesn't do anything useful that Maemo doesn't already do. =P

Originally Posted by inidrog View Post
Question about 2) : Will Meego for N900 be a Phone or just a microcomputer. (sms, mms, mfe, and OVI store access .... all the things Nokia phones have?)

I haven't seen any answer to this, but I sure want to know what people believe (hoping is not that interesting).

Regards.
I believe the answer was don't expect the community release to come with Nokia services like Ovi Maps.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
For instance, many think the tearing problem (vsync ?) is caused by some graphics drivers that n900 owners don't have the source to.
It is caused by the entire stack, from the 3d libraries to ui toolkit to individual apps -- it's not only a matter of magically flipping a switch in the sgx driver (a switch that exists indeed, btw).

For example you can do tearfree video on a N900 with the current software set.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-08-04 at 20:15. Reason: Adding "with the current software".

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
It is caused by the entire stack, from the 3d libraries to ui toolkit to individual apps -- it's not only a matter of magically flipping a switch in the sgx driver (a switch that exists indeed, btw).

Thanks for the info, but would you mind being more specific. Are you saying I can solve this inside something like an xorg.conf file? I'm trying to push the envelope, so I thought if I do things like disable double-buffering in GTK widgets, for example, I can avoid a performance hit. See what I mean? I'm a little lost. Please help this ignorant fool.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post

Thanks for the info, but would you mind being more specific. Are you saying I can solve this inside something like an xorg.conf file? I'm trying to push the envelope, so I thought if I do things like disable double-buffering in GTK widgets, for example, I can avoid a performance hit. See what I mean? I'm a little lost. Please help this ignorant fool.
More importantly, how can we believe you if we can't even prove it to ourselves, looking over the source code and tweaking it and supplying a patch back to the maintainer to QA and distribute the fix?

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Well the way I see it is, I'm really enjoying the N900 as it is. So I guess my N900 has very many years on it. It works for me, why should it stop doing that in the future?

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:

Tags
crippled-os, get lost, n900nogo, yeah sure