Anyone else have the problem of the browser constantly re-starting itself?
Particularly after long idle times, or when multitasking out and.then back in? Never had this issue on the phone. I don't mean the page reloading on switch, but clicking the browser cover and actually having the browser restarting from scratch. Sometimes even happens during normal browsing, always coupled with either clicking a link or the browser back button.

Also, i never seem to get the tablet to use more than ~1200mb of memory, going by what sysmon shows. I load up lightroom to edit photos, have ytplayer running, plus several tabs open in the browser. Still does not go above 1200 or so - but I do notice issues with the system running out of memory - ie. browser tabs unloading from memory.

Or if i first use lightroom, then switch out to use the browser for a while, and then try to switch back to lightroom, lightroom will simply reload itself when clicking the app cover, instead of resuming from memory, meaning the LR process was killed at some point during my browsing session. Despite this, sysmon never shows.the device utilizing even near max RAM capacity.

Is this a case of erronous reporting by sysmon or a wierdly configured default.behaviour of SFOS, or is there some other sensible but mystic reason the OS would start killing processes despite not being near the max memory limit (guarantee smooth performance)? Can you tweak this behaviour somehow?

Last edited by Yeum; 2016-04-04 at 09:56.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yeum For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Yeum View Post
Anyone else have the problem of the browser constantly re-starting itself?
Particularly after long idle times, or when multitasking out and.then back in? Never had this issue on the phone. I don't mean the page reloading on switch, but clicking the browser cover and actually having the browser restarting from scratch. Sometimes even happens during normal browsing, always coupled with either clicking a link or the browser back button.

Also, i never seem to get the tablet to use more than ~1200mb of memory, going by what sysmon shows. I load up lightroom to edit photos, have ytplayer running, plus several tabs open in the browser. Still does not go above 1200 or so - but I do notice issues with the system running out of memory - ie. browser tabs unloading from memory.

Or if i first use lightroom, then switch out to use the browser for a while, and then try to switch back to lightroom, lightroom will simply reload itself when clicking the app cover, instead of resuming from memory, meaning the LR process was killed at some point during my browsing session. Despite this, sysmon never shows.the device utilizing even near max RAM capacity.

Is this a case of erronous reporting by sysmon or a wierdly configured default.behaviour of SFOS, or is there some other sensible but mystic reason the OS would start killing processes despite not being near the max memory limit (guarantee smooth performance)? Can you tweak this behaviour somehow?
I dont have same problems as you do, but the browser constantly crashes/reboots itself when I open more than two tabs and try to change between them. Happens during every browsing session. Occurs when you click the tabs number on bottom left corner.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
I dont have same problems as you do, but the browser constantly crashes/reboots itself when I open more than two tabs and try to change between them. Happens during every browsing session. Occurs when you click the tabs number on bottom left corner.
https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfi...ser/issues/462
and
https://together.jolla.com/question/...ashes-browser/

Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
Ah!

This could at least explain some of my problems - might be I have been tapping accidentally the tabs button instead of back button in some of these instances.

I tried stressing the tablet some more today. Opened the SF browser with a few tabs, a powerpoint slide in documents, YTplayer, quickddit, and firefox on a somewhat heavy page. RAM usage shows as ~1030Mb.

Open lightroom, open image in lightroom. Make a few slider adjustments, switch out of lightroom.

Try to task-switch to firefox. Instead of resuming, Firefox re-starts itself from scratch.

Upon loading firefox, YTplayer stops playing the video.

Sysmon shows ram usage as ~1300 Mb peak.

Restart YTplayer & video. Can switch between YTplayer, FF, and LR no probs. Click browser. Browser does not resume, but restarts.

Upon browser restarting, YTplayer once again stops playback. Sysmon still does not show RAM utilization above ~1200 MB.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeum For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Yeum View Post
Ah!
Upon browser restarting, YTplayer once again stops playback. Sysmon still does not show RAM utilization above ~1200 MB.
Is it possible the rest of the RAM is reserved for the graphics card buffers?
That could be an explanation,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Thanks, worked... it needed a switch off+switch on again and it seems to work properly now. Maybe it's calibration related?
Happened again... Switching on/off not work if I do it immediately... Maybe need lipstick restart or maybe Coderus is right and magnets is too strong...
I disabled this option...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
Another thing I found out is wireless is ultra bad.
I am sitting here 10 meters from the wifi ap an nope. Reception is so bad (even though the indicator shows full) that I am not able to play back a video without stutter and every second trying to reload and buffer.

Output
[nemo@Jolla ~]$ cat /proc/net/wireless
Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 22
wlan0: 0000 57. -53. -256 0 0 0 716 97 0
Again any other device even my tv - no problem.

I tried disabling power saving. Did not change a thing.
As the bcm4330 chip is in use and the kernel 3.10 is very old I simply think we need a more modern up to date kernel or driver or firmware. I am not sure.

But currently the tablet is not very useful for day to day usage to me.
Maybe its a hardware defect on my device.
Any experience with wifi connection and problems there would be helpful.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Another thing I found out is wireless is ultra bad.
Which band are you using? 2.4ghz, 5ghz, 802.11b/a/c/n and what type of encryption (WPA2, so forth) and on what type of router and what's the TX of that router (low/med/high)?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I have 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz on. But the Tablet uses 5 Ghz.
Its a Fritzbox 3390 Router.
TX high
WLAN-n+a
Channel 20 MHz
WPA2

Donate using Liberapay

The Following User Says Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
I have 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz on. But the Tablet uses 5 Ghz.
Its a Fritzbox 3390 Router.
TX high
WLAN-n+a
Channel 20 MHz
WPA2
5ghz? Would you say other devices are showing equally strong/weak connections or just the tablet being somewhat worse?

10m is honestly pretty decent distance (if not in line of sight) from a 5ghz router which is notoriously lesser range than 2.4ghz. 13m is about the limit I can get out of my router at 5ghz (line of sight, not through any walls) before it just hits 1 bar and becomes somewhat problematic whereas 2.4ghz is a tad bit further, easily.

I have a Netgear AC1750 and that's been my experience with most any other device. Can you attempt other devices and confirm? Reports of the wi-fi have been up and down, but not as bad as you've stated that I've seen thus far.

Just brainstorming. Hope that my questions/observations do not offend. Not my intent.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfishos