Posts: 185 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Athens Greece
Originally Posted by Bharateeyudu View Post
That's weird... maybe it's just my N9!
no you are correct the same think happens with my both N9 16-64G version

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Lucazz990 View Post
I know, but give it a try is not a big effort for anyone... as it is not for nokia to do something
You obviously have no idea how complicated the process is for a simple bugfix in big corporations like Nokia.

Posts: 335 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Trento, Italy
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
You obviously have no idea how complicated the process is for a simple bugfix in big corporations like Nokia.
Actually no, i have absolutely no experience in developing an O.S. and related bug fixing , but it's not my (or your) problem! We are users... Nokia did it and nokia should fix it if and when necessary, very simple imo. Of course I know it's quite impossible to get anything...

Last edited by Lucazz990; 2013-03-07 at 15:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lucazz990 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lucazz990 View Post
Actually no, i have absolutely no experience in developing an O.S. and related bug fixing , but it's not my (our your) problem! We are users... Nokia did it and nokia should fix it if and when necessary, very simple imo. Of course I know it's quite impossible to get anything...
You are spot on about the fact that the should fix obvious bugs.

However, fixing a bug in operation is just so costly it's pretty hard to believe:

Source: Software Engineering Economics by Barry Boehm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
I agree that it's crazy that you have to ask for support. On the other hand, it's also pretty crazy you expect they will do anything about it, considering the ROI is 0.
The ROI for supporting their existing products in a normal way would be that people will buy their future products too. If Nokia does not invest into its users their return will certainly go to someone else in the future ... at least mine will.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You are spot on about the fact that the should fix obvious bugs.

However, fixing a bug in operation is just so costly it's pretty hard to believe:

<clip>

Source: Software Engineering Economics by Barry Boehm
Not to mention the fact that this graph represents the situation where the considered system is under active maintanance.

The situation with Nokia & Harmattan is unfortunately worse, as the responsible people have left the house, and I assume that all r&d infrastructure has been dismantled.

Consider this:
  • The source code may not be available in any usable form; even if it is stored in some repository the meaningful way to build it into packages may be lost
  • The toolchains and EE (Engineering Environment) is propably lost, has been dismantled and is no longer recoverable
  • The automatic test environment (servers, scripts, test cases, etc) has been dismantled and is no longer recoverable
  • all the other things I cannot even imagine

In pure mathematics there never exists statistical propabilities that equal zero, only propabilities that get infinitely closer and closer to zero. On that context, chances of Nokia delivering bug fixes is far from zero, really much better than chances of the sun becoming nova tomorrow but I would not hold my breath waiting for it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
No, he probably doesn't. But then he doesn't need to because the complexity of the process is Nokia's problem and not his. He paid for a working product and not for a complicated process.

The Following User Says Thank You to hw9xx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hw9xx View Post
The ROI for supporting their existing products in a normal way would be that people will buy their future products too. If Nokia does not invest into its users their return will certainly go to someone else in the future ... at least mine will.
There are so little of "us" N9 users that it's just not worth it at all.

For example, giving away a 1000 Lumias at this point is infinitely cheaper and will attract more positive mindshare than fixing some bugs in a product that is not actively supported, and has a few hundred users begging for it tops.

Also see juiceme's post about all the problems with just getting started with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
There are so little of "us" N9 users that it's just not worth it at all.
I wasn't so much talking about the N9 but about the attitude in general.

For example, giving away a 1000 Lumias at this point is infinitely cheaper and will attract more positive mindshare than fixing some bugs in a product that is not actively supported, and has a few hundred users begging for it tops.
If that was true then I really wonder why Nokia doesn't simply offer a Lumia 920 to anyone who suffers for example the fatal flaw of the 4% bug. Not that I'd consider that a valid solution, but at least I could respect the intention.

Also see juiceme's post about all the problems with just getting started with it.
Oh for gods sake stop ridiculing yourselves in public! I mean the community does stuff like CSSU and you're trying to make people believe a proper Nokia engineer would be at a total loss when trying to diagnose what's wrong with a couple of thousand lines of code?

Originally Posted by hw9xx View Post
Oh for gods sake stop ridiculing yourselves in public! I mean the community does stuff like CSSU and you're trying to make people believe a proper Nokia engineer would be at a total loss when trying to diagnose what's wrong with a couple of thousand lines of code?
Jesus man... I've been developing applications for the past 20 years, so please tell me about how simple it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:

Tags
donteventryto, nokia n9, sh1ts given: 0, sigs: 3000, wontfix