Active Topics

Notices

Hi all,

I've added a video encoding guide to the wiki specifically for the N900. It describes using Handbrake and also goes into the details of the various hardware and software limitations and the consequences of them.

You can see it here.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to philipl For This Useful Post:
Looks really nice, thank you.

But I think that some of the article doesn't meet the wiki standards, in example you write in a sentence "I didn't nailed it down." where in wiki there shouldn't be any "I", especially because the poster is unknown and the article should be written by many users.

Also, "The two codecs that most people will consider" in wiki there shouldn't any "most", its called weasle words.

I'm editing it a bit now, but there are more sentences to be changed for the article to meet the standards, but I'm not that good with English.

Last edited by jayford; 2009-12-30 at 21:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to jayford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
FYI,
There is some problems with current release of 0.9.4 handbrake with transcoding and downmixing 48 khz source audio to N900. Problems occurs on both 48 -> 48 stereo and 48 -> 44.1 stereo . This can be tested with trailers from Apple. Sound gets really slow.

If someone knows quick and easy fix for this which can be used with handbrake please share your information.

i've done a lot of 48->48 dvd conversions without seeing this problem. might be a build specific problem. I compiled my own handbrake for linux (32bit)

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Perhaps add a short paragraph or a sentence about DVD Decrypter with this link included

I see. The Apple trailers are 6 channel AAC - I guess Handbrake can't wrap it's head around those.

Philipl, might want to modify the wiki to specify that preset only works for Mac/Linux for the moment. I have two windows users say it's not working for them

I am over in this thread trying to help them get settings that work.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Wow. Windows Handbrake is a disaster - doesn't import correctly and doesn't even open media files reliably.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philipl For This Useful Post:
i have been using the free converter PSP Video 9 since ages, only for pc and mac though.
converts to more or less all known formats to smaller file sizes and custom screen sizes.

most users dont experience any problem, but if you do just have a look on the forum they have (read first) section.

I might be able to post some settings as soon as I put my computer back in one piece.

Thank god for the N900 meanwhile.

Just google "free movie converter" if you dont this one.
There are tons of them, some good some bad.

Or if your desperate/ crazy and want to go for a fullblown media solution that will take over your computer buy NERO

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by philipl View Post
Wow. Windows Handbrake is a disaster - doesn't import correctly and doesn't even open media files reliably.
Hmm. It worked for me. Win xp sp3. Transcoded trailer from apple page. Only thing i had to change was resolution but that was expected as you described in wiki. Only problem is multichannel 48khz downmix to stereo. I can see video but sound is slowed down.

Eventually i did demux sound with winff and muxed it back and encoded video with avidemux. Works fine now, but too much work :|

.edit
fatalsaints preset didnīt work for me but preset what you provided did work.

..edit
And problem concerning Handbrake and multichannel aac downmixing:
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic....w+audio#p68312

Last edited by slender; 2009-12-31 at 07:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post: