Active Topics

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Niterói - RJ - Brazil
I have a new n800 and i have some newbie question, plis only answer if u realy want to help-me... maybe, if u want, add me on the msn to chat with me and help me in "live mode" my msn is foxdanger@hotmail.com

My questions:

1 - What is Diablo, and the diference between install diablo latest version and os2008 second version?!

2 - First i install diablo lastest varsion, but i thing some programs for os2008 dont work in diablo latest version... im right???

3 - now i have os2008 second release installed... what is better???

4 - What is the best system for the n800??? What is more fast?

5 - What is the best program to acess msn?? I try pdgin and guizmo and both cant load my friend list... they just stays on "connecting" for a long time... and nothing more... i can connect with the site e-buddy.com, there all works fine... but i want a program for use msn... what is the best?

I think is this for now, when i remember the rest of the question i post here in this topic.

Tnx a lot... and i hope someone can help-me

CYA!

PS: Sorry for my english, but i never study english in my life, i just learn english alone... because this, its not so good, but i think you can understand me

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
For numbers 1 through 4, don't worry about it. Just use Diablo, which is the most recent OS, and which updates itself (or, rather, notifies you to update it and makes it easy to do so). There are very few programs that run on earlier OSes but do not run on Diablo. If you open Control Panel >> About Product and it says, Version 4.2008.23-14 then you have the current version of Diablo. Otherwise you ought to get it.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by foxdanger View Post
1 - What is Diablo, and the diference between install diablo latest version and os2008 second version?!

2 - First i install diablo lastest varsion, but i thing some programs for os2008 dont work in diablo latest version... im right???

3 - now i have os2008 second release installed... what is better???

4 - What is the best system for the n800??? What is more fast?
"Diablo" is simply the codename (or nickname, if that helps) for the latest version of the Maemo operating system. Seamless Software Updates (SSUs) are bundles of bug fixes, upgrades, feature enhancements, and the like made available by Nokia as they deem them ready. Wikipedia has more information on these topics.

Installing Diablo plus all the available SSUs on your tablet is recommended. Yes, there are some programs that worked in older versions of the OS and haven't been kept up to date to work with Diablo, but the vast majority have been. New software for Maemo is being written for Diablo and beyond, not for older versions. Also, with Diablo, you'll also have the fastest released version of the MicroB web browser.

5 - What is the best program to acess msn??
Someone else may be able to help with MSN Messenger issues. I don't know anyone who actually uses the service.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Foxdanger - I too have an N800. Install the latest Diablo because with this version you will not need a different computer to update the operating system or to update any of your installed programs. Your N800 will then notify you with an orange flashing icon to let you know that there are updates to download through your internet connection.

TNX A LOT ALL YOU GUYS!

I install the latest diablo when i get my n800, but after i trade him to os2008 second release... but now with your opnions i see the right thing to do BACK TO DIABLO! hehehehhe

I just trade again my system now!

Just one question not clear for me... diablo is best of have debian??? is more fast? debian have a lot of programs and stuffs, maybe he is better no????

And last question... WHAT IS MER????

TNX A LOT GUYS!

Diablo is just the name of Maemo 4.1, the latest of the Maemo 4 releases; the Maemo 4 release was called Chinook. _All_ Maemo OSes shipped from Nokia are derived from Debian, but there's no guarantee any Debian packages will install (most often, they won't), so they have greatly reduced number of applications available.

However, Debian is a general purpose distribution targeting mainly desktops; you can make it run on a tablet, but it's not set up for touchscreens and such out-of-the-box, so a lot more tweaking is in order to get anywhere near as usable; it also isn't as good with powersaving (again, it's not designed for mobile devices, but Maemo is). Which is better for you depends on what you want to do with the tablet, but unless you consider yourself a hacker, you should really think twice about Debian. (BTW, you can also run Debian apps within Diablo, by using Qole's Easy Debian Chroot package.)

Now about Mer:
Maemo 5 (named Fremantle) is coming out soon, and Nokia has already made preliminary releases for development, but no OS image to install on any tablet. (In fact, Nokia will not be releasing a Fremantle image for the N800 or N810, only for the new tablet that's coming out soon.)

But because Maemo is based on Debian, most of the Fremantle components can be installed on a minimum Ubuntu (which is also Debian-based) system, to build up a Fremantle-compatible system for existing tablets. A project called Mer is doing just this, and it may offer the best options from both sides; the only drawback to Mer is that it's currently in a very early stage, with only the third public release (0.8) coming out this Sunday, so it's very incomplete now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
uhmmm

understand!

TNX A LOT MAN!

FOr now, im go in the diablo latest

Hope MER becomes a great for us in future

CYA AND TNX A LOT FOR YOU ALL!