Well you also have to take into account some n770, n800, and n810 owners are not happy with the direction Nokia seems to be taking right now.

1) Smaller screen
2) removal of USB OTG (ok not everyone)
3) cell phone radio in device (it does increase the cost of the device).

So not everyone is moving on, some moved to other devices while others are waiting for Nokia's next Maemo device to see if it will be closer to what they expect from the older tablets.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
What is interesting is that one would think that the majority of N900 buyers are N8xx owners and therefore up to speed on Maemo 4/5 OS. Instead it appears that most N900 buyers on this forum are smartphone owners and do'nt even know what it means "to flash".
(pun not intended).

To get back to your point, Texrat, the N900 buyers probably don't realize that all of us N770, N800, N810 owners have spent the last two years tweeking our devices while being educated by this fine forum.
I think you are right, the majority of N900 owners didn't know what they were getting into. They bought the N900 with no expectation of having to "tweek" it in order to get it to work. For them, "tweek" means setting preferences in a menu. This is not to say that some of them cannot be made productive members of the community but most will only use these forums to ask for help and search for software. The community needs to figure out how best to handle that (but that is the subject of other threads and Brainstorms).

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Well, it should be noted that this wasn't really Nokia's decision.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post

I took him half seriously.
Which half?

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Well you also have to take into account some n770, n800, and n810 owners are not happy with the direction Nokia seems to be taking right now.

1) Smaller screen
3) cell phone radio in device (it does increase the cost of the device).

So not everyone is moving on, some moved to other devices while others are waiting for Nokia's next Maemo device to see if it will be closer to what they expect from the older tablets.
Sing it, brother! You're describing my situation. I've jumped on the Android bandwagon for now but I remain interested to see what Nokia will release as the next Internet Tablet device (note: not cell phone) since I still want more evolved Debian based Internet Tablet.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, it should be noted that this wasn't really Nokia's decision.
I must have missed that. Whose decision was that?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've not read the entire thread, I started reading when it was first posted; however I lost interest when some things were stated...

But I'll say this. I truly do not believe that Nokia, rampant Nokia fans, nor Maemo followers want anything to change. As it stands now, I just don't see it.

If a person says something that's a bit out of center with what is known about Nokia will do, it's immediately compared to Apple or Google. If you're able to see the good points in other platforms, you're instantly labeled a "fanboy" (or whatever spelling therein) and you're relegated to troll status.

If you desire a feature in a phone - video calling, MMS, a secured friggin' USB port - you're going to get attacked for not being happy that the N900 is not some phone, but a pocket computer that has phone radios in it. And if you step outside of that semantic landmine, you'll likely find yourself attacked for how you're not following lockstep into what the others are chanting in unison.

Simply put, there is hardly an environment friendly to discussion on some items that also include constructive criticism. I hate to sound harsh about it, but to feel like I now belong to a community that was just fine when I owned and loved my N810, yet got upset with me when I was upset at Nokia for abandoning me and kept stating "Get over it" and now I'm part of a community that is turning a blind eye to other platforms and can actually learn certain things from those other platforms... it's disturbing.

Maemo is powerful. But it needs more than a powerful OS to make it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I must have missed that. Whose decision was that?
The USB Consortium.

My understanding is that there were issues affecting the implementation of USB host/client/charging detection so the plan was to ship a software update to Extras after release to enable host. Unfortunately the USB Consortium said, "Either it works 100% or you don't get to call what you're putting in the device USB. If you want to call it USB you have to disable host in hardware."

Since Nokia definitely wanted to call it USB, here we are. Blame the USB people for looking out for something other than consumer interests.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I don't quite understand that GA.. if the technology was capable how did they disable it in hardware? Removed a few pins that would otherwise have enabled it?

And they did it because the USB Consortium said so?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
The USB Consortium.

Since Nokia definitely wanted to call it USB, here we are. Blame the USB people for looking out for something other than consumer interests.
Damned Vogons.

The USB Consortium.

My understanding is that there were issues affecting the implementation of USB host/client/charging detection so the plan was to ship a software update to Extras after release to enable host. Unfortunately the USB Consortium said, "Either it works 100% or you don't get to call what you're putting in the device USB. If you want to call it USB you have to disable host in hardware."

That is definitely wrong. The EU agreement on common charging specifically allows not using micro USB connector for charging if there is a good reason to do it. So all Nokia needed to do is use the micro USB connector for USB only and keep a standard 2mm for charging.

The fact that the N900 has no USB host support is one hundred percent due to Nokia decision.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If a person says something that's a bit out of center with what is known about Nokia will do, it's immediately compared to Apple or Google. If you're able to see the good points in other platforms, you're instantly labeled a "fanboy" (or whatever spelling therein) and you're relegated to troll status.

If you desire a feature in a phone - video calling, MMS, a secured friggin' USB port - you're going to get attacked for not being happy that the N900 is not some phone, but a pocket computer that has phone radios in it. And if you step outside of that semantic landmine, you'll likely find yourself attacked for how you're not following lockstep into what the others are chanting in unison.

Simply put, there is hardly an environment friendly to discussion on some items that also include constructive criticism.
Sure, there is certain amount of fanboism, but I wouldn't say that everybody saying anything negative about Maemo or Nokia gets attacked automaticly.

For example see this thread from yesterday:
Bye (for Now)

OP of that thread says that he's not getting N900 and is leaving Maemo platform. However he does it constructively and states very reasonable and logical reason for it. Notice how there are no attacks or negative personal comments at all. Few people try give him/her reasons to stay, but it's all done in courtious way.

Still I think you make good point by pointing out fanboism. Negative trolling and fanboism can fuel each other and create even more noise to community. One of the reason why I think we need more selective but strict moderation, before the constructive people leave elsewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
cars and radios, community, constructive criticism, critcism, criticizing criticism, critiquing critiques, maemo.org, maturity, on fanning trolls, on trolling fans, talk, talk.maemo.org