Plasma Active is getting close to it. If not for manufacturers drivers delay, they'd be already selling the Vivaldi tablet. The UI part is production ready and fully open source.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I am ectastic and speechless. I thought we are dead since Nokia kick us out or let us die. I like to see them succeed and I will contribute if anything I can. I want to get involved. This is a WAR.

bun

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Plasma Active is getting close to it. If not for manufacturers drivers delay, they'd be already selling the Vivaldi tablet. The UI part is production ready and fully open source.
You don't have go far from maemo. As maemo-cssu includes a lot of improved and better rewritten parts from people for free. Open technology is not only better in ideological ideas, but it's faster gowning and financially better

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
You can buy software *without* hardware Of course, it should provide some real benefits over stock-Harmattan, but I wouldn't have any problem spending a few dozens of euros on software which prolongs the use of the N9 with say, a year or so.

I think it's stupid to buy new hardware just to get new software, which would run just fine on the old hardware.
Trying to sell open source or nearly open source software has its limitations. I think hardware has to be their focus, but I hope we benefit from the software anyway.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
closed drivers are a dead end. They die with companies who create them. Drivers should be open in order to withstand trial with time.
ftfy.......

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Trying to sell open source or nearly open source software has its limitations.
I don't know about that, just because Nokia never got it doesn't mean it can't be done. I bet if Maemo had been truly open it would be #1 right now and Android & iOS mere footnotes.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I could agree if vivaldi was existing for endusers but still it doesnt...

so no we cannot say its ready until we have it in our hands.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-08 at 22:46.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
ftfy.......
Closed drivers are bad, but getting open drivers seems to be much harder than getting the open UI. UI can be designed from scratch by the community. Drivers require either full hardware specs (non existent in the vast majority of cases), or reverse engineering. The second does happen, but slowly and painfully:

https://gitorious.org/freedreno/pages/Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A6jnBQ2L-A

http://limadriver.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bi8kT2e3f0

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I do find it understandable that they should want to keep their UI closed for differentiation purposes which is why I proposed:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
There will no doubt be closed bits in the platform. One way of keeping people aboard over several device launches would be to allow a trusted group of community developers working under NDAs to update those closed bits so that legacy devices aren't left with a load of WONTFIXes, or FIXED IN $NEXT RELEASEs.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'm part of the Jolla team, though working on Mer Core and I can't really say more than what twitter and press releases say.

Ask me anything about Mer though.

However, I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around this?
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
I suppose how the community will look will depend a lot on how a commercial end-product will look--will it be treated the way Maemo and MeeGo were treated? Particularly MeeGo where the MeeGo OS itself was very, very open.. but the end-product (in this case, Maemo's Harmattan--not even a true MeeGo) ends up even more closed-source based and locked-down than previous operating systems and hardware.

If it's just more of the same of what we've had from Nokia over the years, I sincerely doubt we'll see anything change in the community around such devices.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla