Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by davedickson View Post

You then thought I didn't know how to install easy debian, how the hell do you get that from that post??????? You then sarcastically suggested "This maybe?", next time if you don't want people to think you are being rude try, "maybe this will help" no confusion then, is there?
You are walking through the woods. You are very thirsty.

You approach a man, a stranger. You tell him "I am so very thirsty."

You continue to walk, he joins you. You approach a river. The embankment is too steep to reach the water.

You ask, "How can I get some water??"

The stranger pulls a ladle from his satchel.

"This, maybe?" he asks.

You punch him in the face.

------

Is that about right?

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Nope, I don't care. Why should I? Why does everyone who uses this board have to care about "catering" to everyone else? At my work, I have to cater to our clients / customers, because I am paid to do so.

I am not paid to care here. Did I miss the part of the sign-up process that said that I am subservient (sp?) to all other visitors?

I'm pretty sure there was no such clause, or I wouldn't have registered.

Early in this thread (this thread whose title in itself is b*tching about the board), I was legitimately trying to help, based on the information given. Here is a summary of my post:

Code:
<link>

This, maybe?
I was then attacked for being rude, and told re-read his post. I am a big proponent of living up to the labels given to me. I was labeled "rude", so I lived up to it. That's how I roll.

In closing, I do not represent Maemo. I defy anyone reading to find a board where everyone is happy and cheerful, and willing to take whatever bulls**t is handed to them. I started posting in a thread whose title insults the senior users of the board, who I have found very helpful.

So yeah, you can hate me, but you can't say that I'm wrong (unless you want to be wrong... then I'll say that you're wrong... but isn't that what threads titled "Is Maemo.org The N900's Real Competition?." are for?)
Jay, please calm down. I know you don't have to, but it would help the situation a little bit. I think the main confusion came from the "rude" label. I can see how your post could be misconstrued as being sarcastic. If that was not your intent, please make it clear that you did not mean to be sarcastic. I support your point of view, and I know there is a calm (non-subservient) way to resolve this situation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elimoon8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
Duly noted (I should have quoted your post when I wrote my post).
You can't expect a developer to post a how-to, though. It's their application/tweak, therefore they can distribute the information they way they want to/need to (it also depends on how much time they have in their lives, etc.). You can politely ask other users for a simple how-to (which I can see has been happening) while telling them explicitly that you understand all of the risks involved (which has not been happening).
I realise that and I am grateful for all the work they put in. My idea was actually aimed at helping them rather than me.

If they posted a techy guide (doesn't have to be long) people like me that need a bit more infomation than the power users but less than new users, could then create the walkthroughs (for brand new users) for them.

As someone who is new to linux, a step-by-step with screenshots etc would be so useful. I want to make those from the techy guide so the devs don't get everyone asking them questions all the time, they could just follow it click by click, and thats it done. No threads no questions = more time for devs lives

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Jay, please calm down. I know you don't have to, but it would help the situation a little bit. I think the main confusion came from the "rude" label. I can see how your post could be misconstrued as being sarcastic. If that was not your intent, please make it clear that you did not mean to be sarcastic. I support your point of view, and I know there is a calm (non-subservient) way to resolve this situation.
"This, maybe?"

I don't see how that can be construed as rude. If anything, it shows my unsureness of my answer being the correct one.

|||EDIT
#114 above says it all.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Singapore
elimoon8, yes, I understand that it's the independent decision of individual developers, but should one of them take the initiative, I'm sure it would be well-received by the end user, and hopefully others can follow suit.

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
I realise that and I am grateful for all the work they put in. My idea was actually aimed at helping them rather than me.

If they posted a techy guide (doesn't have to be long) people like me that need a bit more infomation than the power users but less than new users, could then create the walkthroughs (for brand new users) for them.

As someone who is new to linux, a step-by-step with screenshots etc would be so useful. I want to make those from the techy guide so the devs don't get everyone asking them questions all the time, they could just follow it click by click, and thats it done. No threads no questions = more time for devs lives
I think in the past, what you are describing has occurred several times. A developer has posted a complex guide, and a new-ish user has made it into a simple one (I think this happened with the Tear browser, for one example). I think the main problem in that respect is that right now the developers are considered their applications too buggy to release. In the past, the process you are describing usually happened after an application had developed a little and all the main bugs had been removed, bringing the application to a "everyday use" condition.

If anything, it shows my unsureness of my answer being the correct one.
aha. I can see that now. Before, I wasn't able to see how you were using that "maybe".

Originally Posted by LouisLoh View Post
elimoon8, yes, I understand that it's the independent decision of individual developers, but should one of them take the initiative, I'm sure it would be well-received by the end user, and hopefully others can follow suit.
I understand what you mean, and in the past this has been a pretty typical practice (posting a how-to). Going back to my post (#120 - wow) I think right now developers are themselves unsure of the stability of their applications. After a little more development, I'm sure they (or someone else with the knowledge) will post a thorough guide on how to get the application working. It's just a matter of time.

The Following User Says Thank You to elimoon8 For This Useful Post:
"This, maybe?"

I don't see how that can be construed as rude. If anything, it shows my unsureness of my answer being the correct one.

|||EDIT
#114 above says it all.
Well I construed it as rude.

And your subsequent posts, say it all, don't they.

Oh, I am sorry please don't think that statement was rude at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
I think in the past, what you are describing has occurred several times. A developer has posted a complex guide, and a new-ish user has made it into a simple one (I think this happened with the Tear browser, for one example). I think the main problem in that respect is that right now the developers are considered their applications too buggy to release. In the past, the process you are describing usually happened after an application had developed a little and all the main bugs had been removed, bringing the application to a "everyday use" condition.
Well, thanks for your comments. I do see what you mean, problem is you don't need a guide once they go into extras LOL I love the one click install by the way!

Tags
maemocannonfodder, maemoredshirt, sell crack for n900 money