Notices

I think the geeky and absurd "Dinosaur comics" at http://www.qwantz.com/index.php is often pretty hilarious.

It has an url format like this http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1651 (previous comic ending in 1650 and so on).

Like xkcd it has an alt-text that is needed for the full experience.

cheers brilliant work mate. its a bit small for my liking, no complaints though great work!

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
cheers brilliant work mate. its a bit small for my liking, no complaints though great work!
You can change the size to your liking.
Launch xterm, type (for example):
Code:
echo "650,320" > .comic-widget/size.cfg
remove the widget from desktop and add it again. Voila: 650x320px widget.

798,420 is the biggest you can have.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Thanks for this widget. It's great, particularly the large selection of comics.

One request. Could you add a button (like the jump forward) that would download the most recent comic for the entire list of subscribed comics? Or all the recent comics from last to most current.

It can get a little frustrating hitting the forward button, wait (during which time I can't select any other widgets) for the newest comic to load, read, chang to the next comic, repeat. It'd be nice to hit a button, download all the newest, give it a minute or two, then be able to quickly read and flip through all the new comics.

Thanks again for a great app.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I apologize for the vague nature of this feedback, but i was having huge problems with nonresponsiveness of the UI, especially the task switcher (clicking on windows wouldn't bring them up for a long time). I finally got so fed up with it i uninstalled a few recently-installed apps (all of them from Extras but this one). Suddenly, the UI is amazingly responsive. It may have been a different app causing the problem, but i'm just putting this out there: has anyone else had trouble like this with comic widget installed?

I'll try installing it again in a while (by itself this time) and see if the same thing happens again. For now i'm enjoying a molasses-free UI.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
it takes about 5 seconds for the picture to open in browser, which is quite long though still nice.

to make it more user friendly, I still wanna suggest the foreca weather widget way. if it would open up in a app, it could also have all the functions as the widget. Meaning prev/next other comic and so on. lot more work though, so I'm not trying to tell you to try make it. would just be shiny :P

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Firenze - Italy
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I apologize for the vague nature of this feedback, but i was having huge problems with nonresponsiveness of the UI, especially the task switcher (clicking on windows wouldn't bring them up for a long time). I finally got so fed up with it i uninstalled a few recently-installed apps (all of them from Extras but this one). Suddenly, the UI is amazingly responsive. It may have been a different app causing the problem, but i'm just putting this out there: has anyone else had trouble like this with comic widget installed?

I'll try installing it again in a while (by itself this time) and see if the same thing happens again. For now i'm enjoying a molasses-free UI.
Me too...My problem is to switch between desktop and to use the task manager...since I installed the widget the ui it's less responsive...I was thinking the same thing you said in these days...

...however it's still a great widget...and it's in devel!

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I had these problems as well, but I caused them by myself as I rapidly clicked many times on previous comic. all buttons froze up for like 2 minutes, even though I was able to scroll to different desktops. Finally it loaded the comics from like 9 days ago (must've clicked more times but guess it registered only 9), and then all buttons started to work again.

Might be nice if you couldn't do this rapid clicking, and have to load one to be able to press again.
One thing I'm really missing is a way to jump to first comic for example. Cause I've made some new discoveries in comics that seem good, and I'd like to read them from the start. But no way in hell am I clicking back 3000 times for example

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by Brank View Post
I had these problems as well, but I caused them by myself as I rapidly clicked many times on previous comic. all buttons froze up for like 2 minutes, even though I was able to scroll to different desktops. Finally it loaded the comics from like 9 days ago (must've clicked more times but guess it registered only 9), and then all buttons started to work again.

Might be nice if you couldn't do this rapid clicking, and have to load one to be able to press again.
One thing I'm really missing is a way to jump to first comic for example. Cause I've made some new discoveries in comics that seem good, and I'd like to read them from the start. But no way in hell am I clicking back 3000 times for example
I really like the rapid clicking though. If you want to read backwards for example, you can go ape on the back button, and then do something else while the widget loads the comics. Unfortunately it freezes hildon-home so you'll have to use the menu to launch applications while it's loading.

I'll try to implement some threading to make it load in the background. The widget uses very little cpu no cpu while idle (10-15% cpu when loading comics), so I'm not exactly sure why the ui becomes less responsive. I guess it could simply have to do with memory and rendering. The core of it is put together rather hastily since I originally just made it for myself. Making it more efficient is top priority.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2010-02-15 at 09:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Thanks for this - its really nice, even with the initial bugs

Would love to have orneryboy, CTRL-ALT-DEL, and VGcats added to it

Tags
comics, dilbert, sinfest, xkcd